The "New Gear/Willy Waving" thread

Associate
A while ago I posted my latest camera (X100) and promised a few example shots, well I went out for a nice long cycle today and after getting stuck due to local flooding (my usual route home was flooded worse, here is a shot of the roundabout route)!

Anyway, after backtracking for a second time I got some 'brilliant light' and decided to test the X100... while not the most technically astounding photos going it does show how capable a camera this little thing is!

Out of camera:
before_zps8717e6f4.jpg

A little 'recovery' and 'fill light' plus knocking the exposure down a tad in Lightroom:
after_zpsa37ff903.jpg

Well, not even my D3 can offer that much dynamic range! Only problem is the photo looks a little too much like a HDR now, not sure how to get around that really.

Soldato
HDR isn't a bad thing imo unless you go bonkers with the colours :p HDR has it's place in photography and it's for stuff like this (imo of course!)

I've found a few pics like that which you can recover quite nicely with some Photoshop/Lightroom wizardry hehe

Associate
I usually find that recovering highlights there is much more clipping on my D3/D300, and recovering the shadows creates a tun of noise so overall I'm pleased with these results, as said considering it's really only a compact camera.

I think the HDR look is more produced by the fact that the only times I've really seen images like that that are correctly exposed across the entire image are almost always HDRs. I have tweaked the settings a bit more again and it seems to have less of the HDR 'glow' that usually (again, in my opinion) ruins a photo.

I agree that HDR isn't necessarily a bad thing, it has a time and place, but seems to be far to overused by 'newbies' which has earned it a bad name. I've seen some genuinely good HDRs, because they were used on the right subject and not over processed.

Caporegime
I have a 27" iMac at work (although normally running linux and sometimes windows) . the screen is nice but it is so damn glossy I would hate to use it for photo work. Even when i try to control reflections they are still really obvious.

I wonder if you can buy any adhesive sheets to remove the gloss?

Soldato
I have a 27" iMac at work (although normally running linux and sometimes windows) . the screen is nice but it is so damn glossy I would hate to use it for photo work. Even when i try to control reflections they are still really obvious.

I wonder if you can buy any adhesive sheets to remove the gloss?

Ray's one is the new iMac with the thinner display which stops as many reflections.

Soldato
Reflections are not really an issue in smallish rooms. Unless direct sun happens to be shining on it, but then even my old dell 3008wfp was unusable.

In larger room's, reflections of bright light sources (lightbulbs etc.) are much more likely to be reflected. Matte displays are still not perfect, but are obviously nowhere near as distracting.

Back
Top Bottom