Bios update disaster, a plea for help

Associate
I have a MSI P67A-C43 motherboard. I thought i would update my drivers and bios using the msi live update utility in windows. First update was a bios update. In windows the update was going fine, saying everything was ok as it installed, but then after it finished the pc powered off and then when it powered on i get no display and just 2 short beeps. Then about 20 seconds later, the same. keyboard does not light up, only the mouse.

I presume something is wrong with my bios but i have no idea what to do :( pc was generally fine before this.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Tldr did bios update with msi live update and now pc wont boot 2 short beeps and no display

Associate
Hey I stole this from the MSI website, not sure if you have the same bios as indicated in the thread but you may find it useful

http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=eejjq8b7c4bhqpbq98d8q0qib5&topic=129806.0

It gives a list and indicatation of what those 2 beeps are. "2 short - Parity circuit failure".

Additionally, before everyone else asks the same question.

-Provide the full spec of your entire rig
-Did you pull the side off, open the rig at all?
-Are you able to try turning it on with 1 stick of ram / take gpu out etc
-Reset cmos battery
-Try alternate PSU

Associate
I've just done some further reading up with regards the board you have. You don't happen to have G.Skill ram, because it seems there may be a compatibility issue from what I've read.

Resetting the bios with the pins on the board can help fix this. First though, can you try putting 1 stick of ram, but leaving the first and second dimm slot empty.

Associate
OP
System has been fine for over a year till i did the bios update :(

Just tried the jumper reset and taking out battery but no luck

Also tried taking out ram and no luck

i dont know very detailed system specs but its i7 8gb ram geforce 570 1.5tb hdd

Associate
Sorry to hear it hasn't helped :( You may want to wait for someone more knowledgable to respond to the thread... but you may need to rma the board. See what other people think first though on here.

Associate
You may find a replacement chip on a famous auction site, but you will need a soldering iron to fit it.

Its too late now but 'never flash a motherboard BIOS in windows'.

Associate
OP
One last quick question. If i buy a whole new motherboard is it wiser to get a more updated chipset one? My current one is a p67. Is it better to get something like the newer z77 ? Any obvious problems with that? Graphic card is nvidia 570

Back
Top Bottom