'Merica

Soldato
Morning guys, I'm looking at a couple of weeks away at a cheap cost at the start of February (last minute, I know).

I would like to go to America! I understand it's far from cheap, but was wondering if anyone knew of some decent places to visit that will keep me entertained for such a period? Don't want a touristy location like Miami or NY.

Thanks!

Man of Honour
The best place for your first visit to the States is California in my opinion. It has everything - big cities, stunning coastline, deserts and fantastic mountains and national parks. Do the traditional triangle route with a hire car - Los Angeles to Las Vegas to San Francisco to Los Angeles as this takes you through all the best bits like Yosemite national park, the Pacific Coast Highway, Death Valley etc.

It's not that cheap but to be honest nowhere in the USA is. Flights to LA at under 500 quid is good value, so try to find them at about that.

Tea Drinker
Don
We did LA > SD > LV > GC > LV > DV > SF > LA

Three weeks and we stopped in Santa Barbara on a whim as we had no where booked past Death Valley which we spent two nights which was one to many IMO unless you want to hike about and do stuff in the heat.

San Francisco was a bit touristy and cheesy, Grand Canyon (the proper bit) was great but the best bits where the bits we stumbled upon like Santa Barbara which is fantastic and La Jolla North of San Diego/

We got married in LV so missed quite a lot there, we rented a soft top and was a waste of time as your on the freeway so much it was a pain, get something iconic.

My mate was trying to get us to go to Tijuana but I wasn't keen, if your adventurous it can be an eyeopener.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;23472406 said:
The best place for your first visit to the States is California in my opinion. It has everything - big cities, stunning coastline, deserts and fantastic mountains and national parks. Do the traditional triangle route with a hire car - Los Angeles to Las Vegas to San Francisco to Los Angeles as this takes you through all the best bits like Yosemite national park, the Pacific Coast Highway, Death Valley etc.

It's not that cheap but to be honest nowhere in the USA is. Flights to LA at under 500 quid is good value, so try to find them at about that.

This x1000 billion. Such a great trip, so much to see and do. We also went to San Diago to see some pandas, but I wouldn't go back if doing it again, not much else going on there. San Francisco is an amazing place if you stray from the main touristy spots.

Soldato
We got married in LV so missed quite a lot there, we rented a soft top and was a waste of time as your on the freeway so much it was a pain, get something iconic.
Ignore this man. The only thing you want to hire in California is a convertible. Humming along the freeways with the top down, the warm winds blowing over you, is great fun!

Tea Drinker
Don
Ignore this man. The only thing you want to hire in California is a convertible. Humming along the freeways with the top down, the warm winds blowing over you, is great fun!

True it's great fun for a while whilst on the Pacific road @ 55 mph or in the towns but going from SD to LV was so hot and dusty and my missus constantly moaned about the roof being down so not only was it uncomfortable I had a moaning missus in the passenger seat and all the maps and information leaflets etc blowing around.

Caporegime

In te be n. te sierras or if a winter storm moves in that would suck.

Man of Honour
we rented a soft top and was a waste of time as your on the freeway so much it was a pain, get something iconic.

This is textbook 'being wrong on the internet'. Get the soft-top.

Check out Air New Zealand, c. £400 from Heathrow to LAX if travelling in February.

This is an absolute bargain - with flights that cheap it simply HAS to be California, you wont get anywhere else in the US for much less and Air New Zealand are probably the best economy carrier you can get between here and the USA.

Soldato
California and the West coast is nice but don't discount the East coast, shorter flight and lots to do. My personal recommendation is Boston, Massachusets. It has absolutely stacks to do, an amazing public transport network ($15 for a week on the sub, some overland trains and all buses), and can be used as a base to go visit other places. For example we took a 45min train ride up to Salem which is easily worth a couple of days!

It's one of the friendliest American cities I've been to and I've been to most of the big ones (Chicago, New York, San Francisco, LA etc). If you even look like you're going to cross the road cars will stop and wave you across, folk will ask you if you need directions and point out good places to eat/visit etc.

For example we took the subway out to Harvard to walk round the campus and decided to walk back into the city. Walked by a fire station so were taking a couple of pics, one of the engines came back and the guys insisted we come take a seat in it and get photos etc.

One of the few American cities I would actually like to live in, spent 8 days there in June and had barely scratched the surface whereas 2 days in Chicago and I was ready to leave!

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;23475344 said:
Convertibles are great in the cold, too. Driving through the snow covered scenery with the roof down is fantastic. Brings you much closer :)

The convertible I saw last weekend that slid on ice and flipped outsides own when it went off the verge probably weren't so happy about the soft top.

Besides which, in the mountains 4wd is a blessing and means you don't have to put chains on at the police blocks.

Man of Honour
The convertible I saw last weekend that slid on ice and flipped outsides own when it went off the verge probably weren't so happy about the soft top.

Modern convertibles have excellent rollover protection and are safe in a crash. But either way, what a totally bizarre thing to think about when picking a hire car.

Besides which, in the mountains 4wd is a blessing and means you don't have to put chains on at the police blocks.

Your average tourist isn't heading off into uncleared snowdrifts so its not a problem.

Soldato
OP
Would ideally like to stick to one location :)

Boston is a very strong contender and is currently competing with 2 weeks snowboarding trip and California :)

Back
Top Bottom