Best TV for £1,000

Soldato
In the dangerous position of having a few pennies in the bank and getting itchy fingers over a new tv.

Currently have a TX-P42X10B (I think that's the right number :p). It's an HD ready model rather than full HD but I've had it about 3.5 years now and it's done sterling service in that time.

I fancy something a bit bigger and better now though and would probably have about a grand to play with by the end of this month.

Having a look around and the Panasonic TX-P50ST50B seems a well reviewed set which comes in on budget. Any views on this one or other suggestions?

I like my panasonic and would be happy to go with them again. I am not overly bothered in terms of plasma vs lcd and happy to look at other brands.

In terms of using it, we watch a lot of sport on Sky HD and also a fair few blu-rays. Have a PS3 but really don't use it too often.

Cheers

Soldato
I was walking around currys the other day and noticed this one:

LG

I looked good to me, just over a grand.

Full HD 1080P, 4xHDMI.

seemed a good price for a 60"

Soldato
OP
Wowsers.

Not sure a 60" would fit but a 55" is likely to be feasible. Might have a read up and see which makes more sense. The sofas aren't exactly on top of the tv so that last 1% of image quality probably isn't going to be noticed and the extra 5" could make more of a difference.

Soldato
You can get some pretty decent TVs for under a grand now, I only chose that one since it was on display and looked good.

If you want that sort of thing, there are samsung Smart TVs out there which may be an option, but if you just purely want just TV and no gimmicks you can just pick up an non 3D one (in 60") for around £800. If you want a smaller TV, you probably won't need to be spending too close to £1000.

Soldato
OP
Pretty sure a 60" won't fit but can always get the tape measure out to check. Think I'd need a new stand as well though whereas my current stand could probably just about cope with a 55".

Cheers anyway, plenty to ponder.

Soldato
I like my panasonic and would be happy to go with them again. I am not overly bothered in terms of plasma vs lcd and happy to look at other brands.

I think you've answered your own question.

The ST series is great, but since the GT series have dropped to pretty much the same price you should get that.

Buy this one, I'd go there 1st just to see what it's like switched on. John Lewis generally has some sort of HDTV broadcasting on their display tellies just to give their customers the opportunity of how good or bad a particular telly they want to buy is like. :)

Soldato
Samsung 2012 plasma are quite good as well. E6500 or E8000. Samsung and Panasonic have MUCH better blacks than LG.

Associate
I've just bought the 50GT50 and can confirm that it amazing! Make sure you spend some time configuring it and you will be impressed.

Plus you can get 5 year warranty on it, and claim 2 active 3D glasses.

Soldato
get the ST50, mine cost £899 from Purwells..... it's brilliant on BBC HD, it's the best screen image i've ever seen.

Associate
You can't beat john lewis for service, my mate had his TV for 4 years, he just sent it back as the sound was faulty and they replaced it with a better 3d model with another 5yrs warranty.. :)

Soldato
Samsung 2012 plasma are quite good as well. E6500 or E8000. Samsung and Panasonic have MUCH better blacks than LG.

This the e6500 is a firm Favorited over on avforums. Need to move fast as it last year model stock drying up. I got mine for £670 (51")

Back
Top Bottom