Router needed for Virgin 100mb

Soldato
I have a similar but different question.

I have a Virgin modem not a Superhub which I am informed will cope with speeds of 100-120 and I am in not rush to upgrade to the 'Superhub'.

I have a feeling that the router that came with the modem is limiting the speed of internal network traffic and I am keen to avoid this and be able to move files as quickly as possible between machines internally on my network.

I suspect the router is 10 or 100mb not Gigabit

Any suggestions on a new router? I do not need wireless (location of modem (cellar) makes wireless from there useless) and I'd prefer to keep the cost down.

Thanks

MB

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
I'm using the wireless router as a router, the Virgin Modem goes into the router and that is where I'm opening ports etc. I presume that using a switch would remove those options and not give my network any protection, or am I wrong?

You're wrong. :)

A switch is a dumb device and would give you gigabit ports.

Soldato
Ahhhhhhh

My current configuration is

Internet > VM Modem > Router > Server/ PC1/ Xbox/Home Plug/ NAS >>>>>>> Home Plug > TV/ Wireless Repeater

I think what you are suggesting is

Internet > VM Modem > Router > Gigabit Switch > Server/ PC1/ Xbox/Home Plug/ NAS >>>>>>> Home Plug > TV/ Wireless Repeater?

Retaining the router as the firewall between the internet and the rest of the network

If that is the case it makes total sense as the whole network apart from the internet and the other end of the Homeplugs is on Gigabit and the although the Internet is behind a 10/100 router its still faster the net speed. Am I right?

Thanks again

MB

Commissario
Ahhhhhhh

My current configuration is

Internet > VM Modem > Router > Server/ PC1/ Xbox/Home Plug/ NAS >>>>>>> Home Plug > TV/ Wireless Repeater

I think what you are suggesting is

Internet > VM Modem > Router > Gigabit Switch > Server/ PC1/ Xbox/Home Plug/ NAS >>>>>>> Home Plug > TV/ Wireless Repeater?

Retaining the router as the firewall between the internet and the rest of the network

If that is the case it makes total sense as the whole network apart from the internet and the other end of the Homeplugs is on Gigabit and the although the Internet is behind a 10/100 router its still faster the net speed. Am I right?

Thanks again

MB

That should do it, the thing to make sure of though is that your router can cope with the speeds, as some may have 100mbit ports but might struggle a bit with the routing at that speed (WAN to LAN), we went from a DIR 615 a few weeks back when our speed was upgraded because it was choking a bit at times (our actual connection speed is closer to 110mb than the 100mb it says on the tin).
If you want to have an idea if your router will cope with the speeds your modem is providing, do a google for the routers name on smallnetbuilder as they do some fairly good tests on things like throughput under different circumstances :)

We currently have the old VM 50mb (big black) modem that they issued before the superhub (it copes with our 100mbit speed fine), and we've got it setup so it goes.
Modem - Asus N66U - 3 PC's directly + an 8 port 10/100 switch to another PC/Homeplug/router in access point mode.

Soldato
That should do it, the thing to make sure of though is that your router can cope with the speeds, as some may have 100mbit ports but might struggle a bit with the routing at that speed (WAN to LAN), we went from a DIR 615 a few weeks back when our speed was upgraded because it was choking a bit at times (our actual connection speed is closer to 110mb than the 100mb it says on the tin).
If you want to have an idea if your router will cope with the speeds your modem is providing, do a google for the routers name on smallnetbuilder as they do some fairly good tests on things like throughput under different circumstances :)

We currently have the old VM 50mb (big black) modem that they issued before the superhub (it copes with our 100mbit speed fine), and we've got it setup so it goes.
Modem - Asus N66U - 3 PC's directly + an 8 port 10/100 switch to another PC/Homeplug/router in access point mode.

Thanks mate

It's actually the DIR-615 I have here so it looks like that might be a bottle neck then?

Probably most effective to add a gigabit switch for the Lan and then upgrade the Switch to max out the internet but I can wait until something comes up secondhand, infact something with broken wifi would be fine :D

MB

Soldato
Thanks

I actually have DD-WRT on the DIR-615 router, I must have put it on when I first got it. :D

This is what I have at the moment

mbhome.jpg

And with new switch

mbhomerevised.jpg

MB

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom