Can I overclock my CPU with the motherboard I have?

Associate
I have an Intel Core i5-750 CPU processor and an Asus P7H55-M SI motherboard, but it seems very limited in its BIOS options.

Photos attached.

30mu7es.jpg

2v2uo2f.jpg

6zca37.jpg

There is nothing else in the BIOS related to the CPU or overclocking.

What do you think?

Soldato
I would start with changing the "Ratio CMOS Settings" from auto to manual. I think it would unlock the settings for changing the multipler etc.

If you can overclock, I would suggest you to disable the C1E Support and Excute-Disable Bit Capability as well, as they might cause instability for overclock.

Associate
OP
I would start with changing the "Ratio CMOS Settings" from auto to manual. I think it would unlock the settings for changing the multipler etc.

If you can overclock, I would suggest you to disable the C1E Support and Excute-Disable Bit Capability as well, as they might cause instability for overclock.

I am unable to change "Ratio CMOS Setting" from "Auto".

Soldato
Don't think the H55 chipset supports overclocking.
I've now been told the multiplier on a i5-750 CPU is locked, so there's no point.
Nope.

H55 board can overclock no problem...I overclocked a i3 540 on one. It was the H61/H67 gen that started the not supporting overclocking BS.

The i5 750 certainly CAN overclock and the multipler is not locked (but it is not as high as the i5 760). Both the i5 750/760 can high 4.0GHz+ without problem, so long as the motherboard is capable.

Associate
You need access to the AI Tweaker page in the BIOS to get at the settings for overclocking the base clock - this page would appear to be missing in your case, guess that overclocking wasn't something ASUS intended for that board, being able to change the multiplier won't get you anywhere on the i5 750 as the max (non turbo) value is 20 and it runs that at stock...

Associate
Just a thought but I noticed the CPU temp was 50 degrees in the BIOS. this is at idle with no load, MB temp was quite high also at 41.....A new cooler for sure?

Back
Top Bottom