Cloud Back-Up service

Associate
I am looking for a new back-up service to take over from Crashplan.

I need to be able to upload ~300-500GB of pictures, documents, videos etc and dont want any limits on upload speed or monthly badnwidth limits, the data will rarely change more than 10GB/month if that unless we go on holiday etc

Needs to be able to run on Windows Server 2008 R2

Cheep as possible too :)

Cheers

Associate
Can I ask why you're leaving Crashplan? I've been using them for a few months now with about 1TB of data and no problems so far.

Permabanned
Can I ask why you're leaving Crashplan? I've been using them for a few months now with about 1TB of data and no problems so far.

I just had a look at Crashplan as I've just finished my year with Dropbox and am looking for a replacement. $60 a year for 1 computer with unlimited storage?! :D

Presumably I could be cunning and make that 1 computer my home server, back up my other computers to the server, then backup the server to Crashplan.... :cool:

Associate
Presumably I could be cunning and make that 1 computer my home server, back up my other computers to the server, then backup the server to Crashplan.... :cool:

That's exactly what I do.

Caveat - the 1TB upload hasn't actually completed yet - I've done about 600GB. I schedule it to run overnight between about 11pm and 7am and it maxes out my VM line at ~5Mbps for the duration. No complaints from me!

I've only tested recovery a few times but it didn't seem slow to me. If I was in a position where I needed to recover everything (hopefully very unlikely) then I would consider having a HDD shipped to me instead as even with 100Mbps+ download it would take a while.

PR.

PR.

Associate
I'm with CrashPlan been with them nearly 7 months. Early on I used to get around 2mb/s upload but over the last 2-3months speed has gone through the floor, now around 200-300k/s upload and I'm only 843Gb through my 1.6TB initial backup!

Been looking at alternatives but each one seems to have something wrong with it! Backblaze looked ok, but people also complain about slow upload speeds and their restore process isn't very good compared to CrashPlans. Some people have recommended Cloudberry and an Amazon Glacier account but the price of that for 1.6Tb of data is quite high from what I can work out.

Expect I'll let the remaining 5 months of my subs to run and look for something else around then, unless the speeds have improved.

Associate
Hmm... are you sure it's not some kind of connection issue local to you? Maybe CrashPlan's performance does vary regionally, but I'm certainly doing ok here in sunny West Berkshire. This is from last night:

dA1CI.png

NB - the gaps are during some power fluctuations we had where the cable was out/iffy :rolleyes:

PR.

PR.

Associate
I'm with CrashPlan been with them nearly 7 months. Early on I used to get around 2mb/s upload but over the last 2-3months speed has gone through the floor, now around 200-300k/s upload and I'm only 843Gb through my 1.6TB initial backup!

Been looking at alternatives but each one seems to have something wrong with it! Backblaze looked ok, but people also complain about slow upload speeds and their restore process isn't very good compared to CrashPlans. Some people have recommended Cloudberry and an Amazon Glacier account but the price of that for 1.6Tb of data is quite high from what I can work out.

Expect I'll let the remaining 5 months of my subs to run and look for something else around then, unless the speeds have improved.

My understanding is that unless you're on the Pro service there are only two backup locations and they are both in the US. There's been plenty of complaints on their Facebook page as well as on the user forums that upload speeds have been getting slower since July 2012.

Back
Top Bottom