bmw 120d idrive question - '54 plate

Soldato
Looking to sell the gf's car (as per title) soon. The idrive itself works fine and all but the button when requiring a push down (gravity down, not direction), normally to set nav destination takes several attempts to activate.

Is there a simple solution to get to the rotating button or is it a BMW/dash out job?

Thanks.

Soldato
The knob itself pulls off (on a 3 at least) but that doesn't get you access to the switch itself, I imagine you'd need to take the centre console apart to do so - I'm sure someone will confirm

Soldato
OP
Thanks for that, I'll try removing the knob, as pushing down on it works, but it can take anything from 1 gentle push to about 20 'getting annoyed' pushes.

Hopefully it is just a build up of dirt/dust, but probably a console out jobby. More hassle than its worth, the idrive is pretty naff.

Caporegime
Why does it have to have an opposition?

Just because something doesn't have any competition, doesn't mean it's not naff. I supposed you could say opposed to nothing, in other words it'd be better if it didn't exist...

Well, first of all it has lots of opposition. Crappy third-party headunits, TomToms, COMAND, MMI, etc.

Secondly just because your car has no infotainment doesn't mean there shouldn't be any.

Soldato
OP
Why does it have to have an opposition?

Just because something doesn't have any competition, doesn't mean it's not naff. I supposed you could say opposed to nothing, in other words it'd be better if it didn't exist...

What he said... Like you say though, considering it was 8 years ago, maybe I should cut it some slack... Dooong, "your lights are on"... Thanks for the info idrive.

So should I yank the knob up so to speak and have a look, any other people shed some light on the issue.

Associate
Well, first of all it has lots of opposition. Crappy third-party headunits, TomToms, COMAND, MMI, etc.

Secondly just because your car has no infotainment doesn't mean there shouldn't be any.

My point wasn't really about idrive or it's competition, just saying that something doesn't have to have opposition for someone to think it is naff. In fact, I have no opinion on idrive itself, as I haven't personally used it.

Soldato
My point wasn't really about idrive or it's competition, just saying that something doesn't have to have opposition for someone to think it is naff. In fact, I have no opinion on idrive itself, as I haven't personally used it.

It's fine tbh - the first iteration was a little bit awkward to use for some basic functions but it's got progressively better.

All the systems that try to use a rotary wheel / press function are a bit difficult to use whilst driving when you aren't used to where things are or if there are no extra buttons / commands for the common stuff. Once you've used the car for more than a couple of weeks though you'll never touch most of it anyway

Soldato
OP
Compressed air might help if it is just a gummed up switch. If its anything more serious though it will be a trim out job.

No idea how difficult that is on the 1-series.

Thanks Paradigm. I might give that a go. I tried yanking it up just now on the way to Sainsburys but It's either a screwdriver job or one for the dealer. ;)

I'll try Google some more, although it seems not many 1 series had iDrive and the 3 series one of that era looks slightly different.

Back
Top Bottom