Earphones for Running

Soldato
Seems a bit overkill for running to me. I would be looking at some cheapish ones that clip round your ear so they don't fall off. If you're running on the roads, I wouldn't want noise isolating either, good to be able to hear a little bit of what's going around you just in case.

Associate
Shure aren't a new company, they were founded in 1925. But those headphones look like they will fall out.

I have a pair of yurbuds that I picked up at their stool at the Bupa Great South Run. They take a little getting used to but really lock into your ear and don't fall out and the sound quality isn't bad at all...

Soldato
OP
Seems a bit overkill for running to me. I would be looking at some cheapish ones that clip round your ear so they don't fall off. If you're running on the roads, I wouldn't want noise isolating either, good to be able to hear a little bit of what's going around you just in case.

Well it'll be used for running and for day to day usage, don't want to carry around two sets.

Shure aren't a new company, they were founded in 1925. But those headphones look like they will fall out.

I have a pair of yurbuds that I picked up at their stool at the Bupa Great South Run. They take a little getting used to but really lock into your ear and don't fall out and the sound quality isn't bad at all...

I was talking about yurbuds being new then added Shure as an after thought..

Caporegime
I have some JVC ones, that are VERY good. Infact I got a set of 'dr dre beats' for christmas and compared to them they just sound awesome.

Cheap too, they don't have clips on them etc but they don't fall out of my ears when running.

Associate
Given what you're spending, I would recommend these (I have them myself)

http://www.bmcdigital.co.uk/catalog...699-?froogle&gclid=CJi0jO3QzrQCFUbKtAod8yEAog

They're sweat proof (normal earphones WILL give out on you after a while from moisture absorbtion from sweat) to the extent you can put them in the washing machine and have great clips to keep them in your ears. The clips come in various sizes so you should be able to find some that suit you. They're so strong that my phone fell off the running machine the other day and dangled down from the end of the cable, but the clips never came out of my ears. The sounds is very good too and they have push to talk controls if that's important to you.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies guys!

Given what you're spending, I would recommend these (I have them myself)

http://www.bmcdigital.co.uk/catalog...699-?froogle&gclid=CJi0jO3QzrQCFUbKtAod8yEAog

They're sweat proof (normal earphones WILL give out on you after a while from moisture absorbtion from sweat) to the extent you can put them in the washing machine and have great clips to keep them in your ears. The clips come in various sizes so you should be able to find some that suit you. They're so strong that my phone fell off the running machine the other day and dangled down from the end of the cable, but the clips never came out of my ears. The sounds is very good too and they have push to talk controls if that's important to you.

I've heard a lot about Monster, mostly good things. Will check them out! :)

Associate
I have a pair of Sennheiser PMX 685i and love them. But be warned they are not to everyones liking.

I love the semi in ear design, as you can still hear whats going on around you. I find I get very nervous running outside with conventional in-ear designs. I don't like being that isolated from whats happening around me, but that is very much my personal preference. The down side of the design is some loss of audio quality. The hard nature of the in-ear element can also cause discomfort, I've never had this, but it does seem to be a compliant voiced online. The biggest downside is the price. While I love them, they are over priced.

Soldato
OP
I've never really had that great an experience with neckbands will need to test them out again, see if they've improved since the last time I used them. Unfortunately very few stores still open who sell good earphones.

Associate
I've never really had that great an experience with neckbands will need to test them out again, see if they've improved since the last time I used them. Unfortunately very few stores still open who sell good earphones.

The neckband design certainly limits the flexibility of the earphones. They drive me nuts if I decide to do some situps. But for running, I think it's worth it to maintain a degree of awareness to whats going on around you. I suspect they are very much the Marmite of the headphone world. Take a look at the reviews on Amazon, I've never seen such such a 5 star/1 star split.

One point I forgot to mention is that Senheisser seem to have a serious quality control problem at the moment. Many people are reporting the failure of one speaker, oddly it seems to be the left one. They come with a 2 year warranty, so if you do decide to pick a pair up, make sure you keep the receipt.

Soldato
OP
The neckband design certainly limits the flexibility of the earphones. They drive me nuts if I decide to do some situps. But for running, I think it's worth it to maintain a degree of awareness to whats going on around you. I suspect they are very much the Marmite of the headphone world. Take a look at the reviews on Amazon, I've never seen such such a 5 star/1 star split.

One point I forgot to mention is that Senheisser seem to have a serious quality control problem at the moment. Many people are reporting the failure of one speaker, oddly it seems to be the left one. They come with a 2 year warranty, so if you do decide to pick a pair up, make sure you keep the receipt.

Yeah one of the reasons I am getting new earphones is because my CX300s have died in one ear. Really annoying when the songs split sound output between both.

Soldato
I use a pair of PMX 80s for running, as I find that earbud types fall out and over the ear types interfere with my glasses. I paid slightly more than £4 for mine though (close to £20 iirc) and at that price, I am tempted to go and pick up a couple of spare pairs. They offer merely adequate sound quality, but that's to be expected given the constraints of the design - I guess it's the price you have to pay to be able to hear oncoming traffic while listening to music.

Mat

Mat

Soldato
When I'm running I like to have the cable to my ear buds underneath my t-shirt so it doesn't flap about. The problem with this is that when I start to sweat, the cable gets stuck to my manly chest and slowly works it way round to my side, pulling on one or both of the ear buds.

I ended up getting a little plastic clip (a bit like a crocodile clip) and using that to attach the cable to the collar of my t-shirt with a little slack up to the ear buds. Not only does it stop the cable from pulling at the ear buds directly, it also takes the weight off the ear buds as well allowing me to skip and frolic through the forest like a baby deer.

I use the standard Apple ear buds as I'm too miserly to buy anything else.

Back
Top Bottom