Child Benefit Cap

aln

aln

Associate
"its not about need its about what is right".

So the right thing is to take money from everyone else, including those who are poor and don't have kids and to give it to people earning over £100,000 a year. Okay.

Soldato
The main problem I have with it is that it is such a sweeping generalisation. Earning 50k in London is not the same as earning 50k outside the big cities.

I am going to lose my CB which actually made a reasonable difference what with the food shopping costing over £100+ a week now. I earn over £50k a year and under £100k. But I work in Shoreditch next to The City, in order to afford a house (3 bed terrace) I had to buy down in Surrey not far from Gatwick (Coulsdon) which means 1.5-2hr commute each way every day 5 days a week and the travel costs associated with (just risen again WAY above inflation as per usual).

My wife gave up work to full time look after our younger daughter (2) while our son (3.5) goes to nursery 3 times a week (£400+ a month). Because full time nursery care for both children was a lot more than she earned. Our calculations for having children (both planned and don't want more) INCLUDED the child benefits and the tax credits.

So here I am as the single earner in the household of 4 people, just over the £60k boundary losing out because Gordon Brown was a retard who spent all the countries money propping up the chav class and bailing out banks.

Don't you understand what a privileged life you lead. Your financial situation is better than the majority of the population.

If you get benefits then how is it fair that anyone in a worse position than you doesn't?

Some targetted benefits exist to reinforce positive behaviour, such as support towards childcare costs to increase female employment. However, child benefit can't be argued to do anything of the sort.

Bailing out the chav class? Right...

Propping up the banks stops your pension from disappearing into thin air, and your house price from tumbling down. People like you benefit the most.

Most families can't afford to send children to £400/mo nurseries.

Last edited:

aln

aln

Associate
There should be no child benefit full stop. If you want a child then pay for it, it's not as if the country/world is running low on population.

Agreed.

Energize said:
I agree that we should not throw money at people for having kids, which is what the government currently do while disabled people live in poverty on a meager £100 a week ESA benefit, but you can't let kids starve either even if it is the parents fault.

Agreed too. The reality is though if you're choosing to have children you cannot afford you're not a responsible parent. People don't like to admit that and I guess you have people going ahead because they know they have a saftey net, but you're stilling giving your children a pretty crappy life if thats where you're at when you settle down.

People in Asia won't pay taxes to fund our benefit system once we retire though.

I'd be suprised if we have benefits when we retire. The Government will be too busy robbing us to keep single mums in mansions because you can't leave any child behind.

Last edited:
Soldato
So you want the children who'll inevitably still exist to live in abject poverty? Cool.

I'm not supporting the idea you were replying to (I agree zero CB at all is too extreme) but we don't have 'abject' poverty in this country. Every person in this country is in the top 5% richest people on Earth.

Let me make it clear we have relative poverty here, but we do not have 'abject' poverty. Semantics I know but hey.

aln

aln

Associate
Of course you can't let kids starve. Whats ocuk turning into?

So you want the children who'll inevitably still exist to live in abject poverty? Cool.

It's strange how you go straight to this. If a parent is starving a child, they're essentially abusive to that child and they should no longer have that child.

The way I see you have two extremes:-

#1 - Young girls have children rather than work. They do this because they know the state will keep them. One will wonder if they really love the kids, or if they're just a meal ticket. They tell their friends.

#2 - Young girls have kids because they're stupid. They cannot take care of them so the children is placed in a home, foster care, or in extreme cases adoption. The next generation hopefully learns from the previous mistakes.

Obviously you can live somewhere in the middle but I'd prefer a straight up #2 with every penny saved going towards making sure their kids are cared for in the best possible manner. Too often do the benefits #1 recieve get spent on the parent anyway, but everyones too busy thinking of the children to see what kinda lives they're gonna live anyway.

Soldato
So basically unemployed/poor people with kids should have their kids taken away from them and put into very expensive foster care.

Awesome plan.

Also in your examples, how many young girls do this? You have numbers?

Last edited:

aln

aln

Associate
So basically unemployed/poor people with kids should have their kids taken away from them and put into very expensive foster care.

Awesome plan.

Being a benefit child myself I'd have to say yes.

The idea is simple. Benefit parents often breed benefit children. Their kids don't have a fair go at life because their parents largely suck. If you support the system the tab will grow until its unsustainable and you'll have people dying on the streets or until you pull back and hopefully the next generation will be more sensible.

With that in mind, one wouldn't take kids away from someone who lost their job and is signing on. At the very least the sensible parents will have some savings, and even then someone whos paid tax all their lives whilst working and has unfortunately lost their jobs isn't the same as someone having kids to get money.

Soldato
Having worked for various parts of the Jobcentre as a contractor and continue to work for charities I think I can guarantee I have heard all this before.

You are totally right, if everyone had this attitude the country would grind to a halt.

I have heard the tough talk and seen it tried to be applied over and over again. Nothing changes, the bottom line is nobody has the stomach or the balls in Government to make a difference.

I want to be hard on these serial benefit families. I personally think that families who continue to have children on benefits should have the new born taken into care. Nobody should be bringing more children into the world and relying on the state to pay for them. At present we simply give them more money!!

Then we can treat the people who are genuinely down on their luck and needy with some dignity.

You cant keep taking the kids into care. The parents should be sterilised.

aln

aln

Associate
Poverty, when it comes to our society != starvation.

Beyond starvation it's not a huge issue though. If you can afford to reasonable dress, feed and house your kids on your own then you aren't really poor. You may be poor in the relative sense, but not in any way that actually matters.

You say this as though parents on benefits are all utter wasters, or something. It's entirely possible to be a good parent, and to raise kids well, but not be able to support them independently.

Only because people like me and you make it possible them to do it whilst struggling to get ahead in live because of that burden. From my experience though, most of their children are raised poorly.

How common is situation #1? Link?

I'm speaking from personal experience as where I grew up it's extremely common. Less so now as the Government has been stamping down on it a bit, but then you just have to have another of claim that you're homeless and you'll still get what you want.

I'm happy to be proved wrong but I've never seen any such stats from the .gov.

You suggest taking kids away from parents, and putting them in care, but have you looked at the outcomes of the care system?!

I also suggested heavily investing in this area too. You can't reasonably do one without the other. Similarly if you were going to cut benefits scrounging overall, you'd probably need to invest heavily in policing, at least in the short term (and more importantly, you'd need to do this before cutting).

For what it's worth, I was raised by a single mother, and she needed benefits, even though she worked (when she could... once I, and my two brothers, were in school). It's not as though it led to a life of luxury, and she wasn't in that situation through choice or recklessness, I hasten to add. Now, all three of us are either at university or grad work. What would you have suggested for us? Would you have denied my mother benefits? Would you have put me, and my siblings, into care? If our situation was fine, and you're directing your ire towards 'scenario #1', how common is that?

I came from a mother on benefits though she was never single. Shes pretty much never worked a day in her life and my older brother has never done so either. He's over 30 now and is pulling well over national average scheming the benefits system. Its went on so long now I'm not even sure if its BS anymore, I think he's actually made himself sick from his work dodging antics.

My steps dads oldest is in prision. He too has never worked a day in his life. They were all in that situation from choice and it's a common theme from the east end of Glasgow and the council estates I have grew up in. Thats not to say I don't love my parents, I do, but objectivly they made some crappy choices and I had a fairly bad childhood for several reasons (some that weren't via choice but that came later and is less relevant).

Anyway its not that I want children to have a crappy life. Its that I want parents in my mothers situation to make better choices so when they do have children they do a better job. Theres no carrot or stick under #1.

On a side note you mentioned it wasn't your Mums choice, so it's entirely possible she doesn't fit into the "benefits for lyfe y0" sub culture I'm talking about. I'm talking about a specific subset that its in my opinion a rot in society that we need to deal with but we'll forever be unable to do because of "think of the children".

Theres lot of ways to avoid tarring everyone with the same brush. Your husband dies after you have kids? Fair enough here are some dead husband benefits. You've worked every day of your adulthood paying into the system? Fair enough you've earned a little bit more leeway. You're willing to train and go to work? I'm happy for help with childcare (but you'll get a stern warning not to mess it up). You want to sit on your **** and not work because you have had a few kids or you won't be as well off? No. I'd take their kids off them. I really would.

Last edited:

aln

aln

Associate
Of course it matters, if you want a kid to break out of the poverty cycle. Living below what everyone else thinks is adequate will have lasting effects, given the kids will be missing out on scores of life chances. Compare a kid who sits at home, cold, with nothing to entertain/stimulate them... compared with a rich kid who gets to travel to loads of inspiring places, have music tuition, learn languages, etc. Those two scenarios have lasting effects which reverberate through the lives of children, so it does matter.

You honestly think those same kids actually get access to things things anyway? In order to ensure that actually happens one would need to change how benefits are delivered in the first place.

But cutting them off just makes it worse.

Not necessarily. I knew a lot of kids who'd be better off not with their parents.

So backing up your assertion you have... err... nothing other than anecdotal evidence? Okay. Well I was raised on a council estate by a single mother, whilst my father worked as a head teacher in a school in the middle of a sink estate. Your portrayal isn't representative, when I take into account that anecdotal evidence.

Saying I've not prove my opinion as fact isn't the same as proving it false. Irregardless, if your dad was a head teacher you mother shouldn't have needed to be on benefits anyway.

Rather than investing loads into care which is broken, why not invest that money into families/communities that are broken? Yes, there are bad parents, but I'd suggest most people love their children... and it's a case of can't, rather than won't. Help them, don't just demonise and take away their kids (which'll just break the kids, anyway).

Have you looked at the outcomes of the state care system? You didn't answer that.

I have personal experience with this and gave you the point that its currently fairly *****. Its something that needs dealt with but the idea isn't to have loads of kids in care, it's that the threat needs to be there so parents choose to have kids based on the right reasons.

It's just ridiculous to tar everyone with the same brush, because your situation/experience has been an extreme one.

I guess you gave up on reading what I wrote? Very last paragraph "Theres lot of ways to avoid tarring everyone with the same brush". Of course that list isn't exhastive, it's just part of the general point that I don't think the current benefit system works. That doesn't mean that I don't think there can be no safety, I just don't want one that'll stand for the "extreme cases" as you've called them.

You'll note the first thing I said was that both #1 and #2 were extremes. I stated I'd prefer #2 (over #1 in case that wasn't clear) but I don't think it's the best possible solution that can be reached. We need only examime countries doing a better job than our own to decipher where we'd rather be at.

Also my situation isn't very extreme. It's fairly common. Have you ever considered maybe for a benefit child you just happened to have a better situation than many others?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Hmm, complex.

I'd rather that after you had more than X number of children, you no longer got benefits for them than if you earn more than Y you don't get benefits for them.

kd

That's what I thought the thread would be about.

1st child 100% bens
2nd 90%
3rd 50%
4th 30%
5th no extra bens

This thread is more accurately titled "means-tested child benefit"

Back
Top Bottom