Full Frame decision

Associate
Kathleen's 5D has failed.

After some ridiculous shutter count, the mirror fell off and fropped into her 100-400.

I'm guessing that it isn't worth repairing. Even if we fix the mirror, the shutter ls likely to go soon anyway.

So we are looking to buy a new body.

The decision is looking like this:

Must be Canon, based on our lens stash.

We shoot full frame. I couldn't get her anything cropped.

There are still a few 5D2s around. £1250. Does everything she wants. Need to act sharpish to get one.

The 6D is £1600. Price has come come down from £1800 at launch. Seems to have better ISO, and a handful more bells and whistles (wifi looks interesting). Is it worth paying extra for the newer model? If we take that path, we would hang on for a couple of months in the hope of a better price.

The 5D3 is £2250. That's £1k more than a 5D2. I can't imagine her getting that much more benefit from that camera.

1D series isn't happening. Too much weight. Too much money.

So I think I'm leaning towards a 6D in Feb. But I'm concerned that the 6D shutter/mirror might fail earlier (she is very heavy on the frame count...)

Wouldn't consider a grey import or used from an unknown source. However, if Raymond is thinking of upgrading some of his 5D2s to 5D3, please drop me a line :)

Opinions invited...

Andrew

Soldato
Dunno about which camera you should buy but I'd take the the 5d for a repair quote, a it might not cost as much as you'd think, and certainly worth it imo if it costs a fair bit less than the 2nd value atm

Soldato
I would look at getting the 5d repaired, as well as swap out the shutter at the same time.
If the cost is prohibitive compared to the value of the body, ideally I would look at a 5diii over the 6d considering she keeps her bodies for such a long time (assuming the 5d was from new).

Associate
OP
Thanks for the excellent advice. I have requested a repair estimate for the mirror and shutter.

And londonbairn, the best answer to your question is "everything" :)

Andrew

Associate
Look for a used 1ds mk2.
I got lucky and picked up one last month for £500 from eBay

It will out do the 5D although only downside is small screen and ISO is rubbish compared to a 5D mk2 or above
You ll be blown away by the autofocus though!

Caporegime
Lol, my 5D2 might stay or go, not sure yet, I've changed the focus screen to the "brighter" EG-S for my TS lens. shutter count is about 50k i think, it looks high but the life is like 250k !

As for your decision, 6D feels like a 5D2.5 to me, just more tech but sameish sensor and sameish AF. Personally I would just get one that suit your budget.

Soldato
Having a good AF system really improves and helps the keep rate of shots, especially for fast moving objects. Due to that, if you can stretch to the 5D3, do it as you wouldn't look back. Not sure I'd get a 6D personally as they don't look that great for the price when you look past the inbuilt wifi and gps, as would you ever use them (I wouldn't)?

Second hand 5D2 would be the budget option as its a great camera to use, just the AF being well and truly outdated stopping it from being pretty much perfect.

Back
Top Bottom