Unfit/non exercisers, want to run 5K? Group challenge maybe...

Caporegime
I'd love to do this as I am overweight but I can't run for another 8 weeks due to a foot injury.

As its time based (assuming it is the same couch to 5km!) you can always start by walking for desired time then upping that to faster then a jog as the weeks go on.:)

Man of Honour
Some of you may find this useful that I wrote back in 2000 and I still get emails thanking me - http://www.disturbinthepeace.co.uk/runtip.htm
I think most of it is still valid and to give some of you a bit of incentive I'm 55 this year and last November I did my fastest 5k in 18 mins 44 secs.
This evening I took it easy and did 5K in 20 mins 58 secs.
I also have arthritis in my knees, hips & lower back, I'm diabetic, high blood pressure and asthmatic SO THERE IS NO EXCUSE.

Associate
Some of you may find this useful that I wrote back in 2000 and I still get emails thanking me - http://www.disturbinthepeace.co.uk/runtip.htm
I think most of it is still valid and to give some of you a bit of incentive I'm 55 this year and last November I did my fastest 5k in 18 mins 44 secs.
This evening I took it easy and did 5K in 20 mins 58 secs.
I also have arthritis in my knees, hips & lower back, I'm diabetic, high blood pressure and asthmatic SO THERE IS NO EXCUSE.

Enjoyed your article, nice one, it's something I should take heed of. Laughed at your first night out and then spending 4 hrs on the floor. :D

Associate
Sign me up, was actually thinking about this today at work. Havent ran since playing 5's in August. Managed to put on more than a few Chrimbo pounds that need to be dropped.

Does anyone know if there is any major weight loss benefit to it?

Soldato
Just to update, Endomondo Pro has interval training addon. Going to download this and hopefully start C25K tomorrow morning.

Good point above that someone's fitness may be such that the first few weeks of the challenge is too easy but nobody is saying it has to take 9 weeks to run this, I guess the point is to challenge you to be able to run for a full 30 minutes.

Soldato
Can I ride my bike instead? :p

I am not overweight but I am really unfit. Well, I dont know if it is due to fitness but when I went for a long ride at the Lake district my legs felt like jelly and I got to the point where I couldnt ride uphill any more as my legs just wouldnt turn the pedals. The strange thing was I wasn't really out of breath, just my legs wouldnt work.

So I think I do need to start off slowly and build up some stamina or something. The site wont load for me but i'll have a look later one.

Man of Honour
Not being funny but if you are unfit and overweight running is the last thing you should be doing. It puts all kinds of stress on your joints/shins etc and doesn't actually promote BF loss as well as say walking.

Don't get me wrong I think it's a great idea to get motivated but seriously, change your diet (less than 2000 calories a day), walk a few miles a day, drink plenty of water, avoid beer, curries etc and start seeing results after 4 weeks. When your weight is down to close to the ideal height/weight for your body type and you want to work on your fitness and build muscle then start looking into running or other CV.

Soldato
Well after my teething daughter and snoring wife kept me awake half the night I decided to get up go for my first C25k run. It wasn't really the greatest time of day to be doing this - and it was raining, but I knew by morning I would have had so little sleep there was no way I would want to be doing this. Also my missus has been on at me to exercise for a while and I wanted to prove to her (and myself) that I would give this a go.

I thought it went well although my back is a bit iffy but that’s quite normal after running any distance for me. All in all I feel pretty good considering I started at 2:20am and only had 2 hours sleep.

I'm certain I could have run solidly for longer but having issues with my knees I didn't want to push it yet.

I ended up using 'A HIIT Interval Timer' from the Play Store (free) and did the job brilliantly - I just had to keep a tab of how many rounds of running/walking I did (seems to work in 8 rounds of varying lengths in first few weeks).

Updated - second run last night, definitely felt more able to run the first 6 rounds but the last two were a bit tougher. No aches today at all so that's good!

Last edited:
Associate
Just started this today but went to week 3 as the first 2 weeks looked a bit easy. Entered myself for an Aquathlon middle of April and I'm rubbish at running so need to get the practice in. I figured entering myself for a race would ensure I kept training!

I have the app on my phone and its pretty good, tells you when to run/walk and uses GPS to map runs. I will keep an eye on this thread.

Associate
Just started this today but went to week 3 as the first 2 weeks looked a bit easy. Entered myself for an Aquathlon middle of April and I'm rubbish at running so need to get the practice in. I figured entering myself for a race would ensure I kept training!

I have the app on my phone and its pretty good, tells you when to run/walk and uses GPS to map runs. I will keep an eye on this thread.

How did it go jumping straight to Wk3?

Associate
It was fine the initial 5 min warm up/jog was hard work I think I went too fast but the 1.5 min run/walk 3min run/walk combo was fine.

I had been doing some work on the treadmill this past week but found running more enjoyable as I actually got to see the countryside not a blob of blutac on a wall :D

Caporegime
Plus I don't want to pay out for a trainer but haven't really found any decent advice on running, it always seems to be technical or general not an actual running plan.

took me a few seconds in google...

http://www.runnersforum.co.uk/beginners/4953-beginners-basic-guide-starting-out.html

I typed 'running forum' into google - click the link to see how to do this ;)

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=running+forum

I then clicked on the first link that came up... unsurprisingly this contained a running forum... and would you believe it there was a beginners section with a guide including the initial running plan you're after...

seriously though, if you're a bit of a fat knacker then perhaps give swimming or cycling a go first until you've lost some weight... also do squats... build up muscle around the knees - running can seriously screw with your knees... and lastly - go to a proper running shop and get a decent pair of trainers (the sort of shop where they have a treadmill, will watch how you run on it and then recommend appropriate footwear)

Back
Top Bottom