Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

Hello,

I wondered if anyone could help. I got my Pi for Christmas and am playing around with the GPIO functionality. I have had a problem tonight using the rpi.gpio library.

I have been following the GPIO videos on YouTube. have the rpi gpio library installed and have copied the code exactly. Upon executing the code I get the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “gpiotest.py”, line 5, in <module>
Gpio.setmode(gpio.BCM)
AttributeError: ‘module’ object has no attribute ‘setmode’

Here is my code within the python file:

Import RPi.GPIO as gpio
Import time

#set up pin 14 as an output
gpio.setmode(gpio.BCM)
gpio.setup(14, gpio.OUT)

while True:
gpio.output(14, gpio.HIGH)
time.sleep(1)
gpio.output(14, gpio.LOW)
time.sleep

If anyone could offer any help that would be great.

Thanks,

Tom

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Handling charge gets removed, they don't charge your debit card for that, so all in comes to £31.50 delivered including case, which I dont think is that bad. Fair enough you can't order with other Farnell stuff but for just a base Pi unit it's ok. Just waiting for mine to be arrive so I can join in!:D

How do I know that it will get removed? Final total has over £7 shipping charges clearly stated?

Associate
Caporegime
Can any one recommend some accessories please?

People seem to suggest the Edimax EW-7811UN Wireless 802.11b/g/n 150Mbps Nano USB Adaptor over DYNAMODE dongles.

Which is the best powered USB hub?

Caporegime
Just fired up my Pi for the first time, started off with Open ELEC so I could use XBMC. However I have stumbled at the first hurdle, I can't get my PC to cooperate through Windows Homegroup. :o:o

Soldato
I've just got myself a Pi and currently running OpenELEC too, but having a problem with my USB HDD disconnecting intermittently. Basically it'll work fine, then after a while I get "unsafe media removal" in the bottom right.

Sometimes the HDD mounts again and works ok, sometimes won't recognise the HDD again until I reboot the Pi :(

Any ideas? Will a USB hub help the issue? The USB HDD is a desktop drive with it's own power.

Caporegime
Another query. When I briefly played with XBMC on Windows, several of the addons I used were downloaded externally and then imported. With Open ELEC/RasbBMC there doesn't seem to be an ability to leave the program and do this and there doesn't seem to be that many addons to get through XBMC. Any way around this? Is there a distribution for the Pi where XBMC can be added/installed?

Soldato
Another query. When I briefly played with XBMC on Windows, several of the addons I used were downloaded externally and then imported. With Open ELEC/RasbBMC there doesn't seem to be an ability to leave the program and do this and there doesn't seem to be that many addons to get through XBMC. Any way around this? Is there a distribution for the Pi where XBMC can be added/installed?

Does it not let you browse a network share for the zip file?

Associate
For xbmc on my pi im using raspbmc, need to be connected to the internet on start up, can be done with certin wireless cards as well now.

you can install add ons such as iplayer, youtube from a usb stick and extract from the zip file.

iv got mine working from the remote that came with the TV so it also means M/KB is needed when set up.

Caporegime
Cool, thank you. I have just come across http://www.xbmchub.com which looks like a treasure trove of useful information. My weekend is sorted :o:cool:

Another question - much difference between Open ELEC and Raspbmc? I am currently using the former, it runs quite well unless it is doing something in the background. Network performance isn't great (1080p content plays but it won't let you skip) but that might be down to my PC being in an area of the house that doesn't have the best WiFi signal.

Is it worth overclocking? I have the revision B model.

Can any one recommend a skin? I briefly used MQ4 on my PC but have heard it doesn't run too well on the Pi.

Last edited:
Associate
Got my Pi at Christmas, I haven't explored it that much other than putting Raspbian on it, however the Mrs is away all weekend so I will try and get right on it. My preferred outcome would be to have it as a NAS/Overnight download system.

My current thoughts are on Raspbian I can install wGet which seems to be the standard download manager for linux based systems and I think it is compatible with Debian. I have ordered a nice 4TB external HDD from overclockers which should arrive today.

I found http://exir.ru/wget4web/ which I plan to use as well but I will also need a lightweight web server, they recommend Apache. Is there anything better?

It has been along time since I used any Linux based computer systems so I am a little rusty but I am sure I can configure Samba to work with the external drive, is it best to keep the drive formatted NTFS? It would probably be easier for me if that was the case, but will it be able to see the whole 4TB's? Or should I be using the linux partitions (ext from recollection)?

I was looking to install XBMC onto the Pi however I already have it installed on my other MediaCentre, so I don't think I will bother just add it as a network drive to that system.

I haven't gone to far with my Pi yet but is Raspbian the best O/S to use currently?, I have installed it with the GUI interface however it is extremely slow and TBH I mainly just use Putty command line anyway. Looking at what I am going to do with the system would anyone recommend another distro?

Associate
NTFS support under linux will support large drives no problem.

AFAIK you wont find a distro much faster than Raspbian, the gui will always be slow so its best to stick with the command line.

You will probably find that the network performance makes it a bit slow for a NAS. I guess it depends how you will be using it. Streaming movies should be fine... but copying large files to and from it will be slow.

Back
Top Bottom