Honeymoon in Scotland

Permabanned
Unless you both really want to go to Scotland and don't mind running the gauntlet of what could be appalling weather for a week at that time of year then go for it.

Personally 'd get the Eurostar to Paris/Brugge for a week it won't cost anymore than Scotland but your less likely to spend a week getting rained on and freezing cold.

Before the nationalists get me I'm not anti Scotland I just wouldn't recomend it at that time of year for a casual visit it's much nicer in the highlands for the average person in the summer!

True to a certain extent, the weather has been up and down. Some nice clear bright day, and relatively warm. We're supposed to be getting more snow again.

It would depend on when it is, if it was forecast torrential rain then yes I'd rethink it myself. Could be nice, snow covered or sodden.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the ideas.

We have considered going abroad but realised her passport expires about a month few we get married. This means she'd have to apply for a new one, then get it changed again once we get back :(

Soldato
+1 for Isle of Skye, Elgol beach would get my vote.
Rothiemurchas is nice as mentioned above, but you can't get a cable car to the top of Cairngorm, it's a funicular railway.
For cottages do a search for Blackrock cottage, very nice and isolated, not sure if it is let out these days though, it used to be. The lightkeepers cottages at Ardnamurchan point also used to be let out so worth checking them as you can't get much more isolated.
Also look at some of the log cabins around the country, some of them are very nice.
For hotels I can recommend the Isles of Glencoe in Ballachulish and the Clansman near the north end of Loch Ness.

Permabanned
Flag of St George on number plates, Car stickers, football affiliation.....oh and NPRS. ;)

Personal experience of this do we?

ANPR doesn't ping up 'green' vehicles. My car was registered in England, I'm Scottish, and oddly when I was done for speeding it was because I was speeding.

:)

Soldato
Most of the recommendations so far I would go with. I've not stayed in that many places up here, what with being a local you tend to stay at home. There is a lovely little cottage in Findhorn village that I've stayed in but I'm pretty sure it would be all booked up by now.

Once you decide on somewhere to stay I'd be happy to recommend places to eat, places to go and see etc :)

EDIT: Actually it's free for some weeks in April though by then it's whole week lets and not the cheapest Rosebay Cottage

Last edited:
Permabanned
Last edited:

smr

smr

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom