Had a house fire - dealing with the aftermath?

Soldato
what are you going to learn from this, OP?

looking at that photo, you were incredibly lucky. was the ceiling boarded over ie you had a fire break and that's why the roof didn't 'take'?

bit of advice, everything you did. don't do it again.

Soldato
I wouldn't even be walking around up there, amazed the FB haven't condemned it to be honest. Fire does a high amount of damage to timber and whilst its charcoaling protects it somewhat it won't be structurally sound. There's no way you should be living there.

Soldato
I'm not sure anyone has brought this up yet but for those of you who aren't aware, opening windows to 'let smoke out' is an incredibly bad idea as you will give the fire a continuous supply of oxygen. Close all doors behind you to contain the fire and limit its spread and leave the house!!

Soldato
My sister had a nasty fire last year. It started under a bed and caught on very quickly. Gutted the room where it started completely ruined the decor of the whole house. The heat was so intense at the source of the fire, it peeled the plaster off the wall, completely burned all the celing through into the loft. The window melted and flopped out, heat was so intense, the electric shower unit in the bathroom next door melted due to the heat radiating through the tiles.

That was just the start. Firemen came and extinguished it and that caused even more water damage. Plaster board falling off the ceiling and crumbling everywhere whilst being trodden in by the firemen. Every window and door in the house had to be replaced, it needed decorating from top to bottom with new carpets throughout. Even the roofing tiles needed replacing. Most of the electrical appliances had to be replaced because the insurance wouldn't insure her again unless they were renewed. I was dying to sneak that brand new panasonic plasma out which they only had for 2 weeks before the fire. It was written off and replaced for a new one.

The good side is, the insurance paid for the lot. Quarter of a million £ iirc because it's actually 2 houses knocked into one. They even had tens of 1000's worth of extra work done including a loft conversion, partition walls, on suite bathroom, brand new kitchen etc. It's a beautiful house now. It was nice before as you can see, but it's stunning now. I'm very happy for them because it was a damn hard to go through. They even say they're a lot better off now than before the fire. The house is done up exactly how they wanted it, but it was a painful thing to go through at the time. The whole of their lively hood rested in the verdict of the insurances decision. Luckily, they had a very good insurance cover which paid for rented accommodation whilst the house was being done up. It took around 6 months to complete the house.

Every other room in the house looked like this, so you can see what it meant when the word gutted is mentioned.

Is this in Cotgrave by any chance?

Soldato
Please wait...
Deciphering first post....
Error, does not compute! Retry? Y/N
>Y.
Retrying...
Error. Request reason? Y/N
>Y.
OP is retarded... Quitting...

Soldato
Is anybody here more exp on this?

Nope - but I am an expert on extinguishing fires safely. And to that end.......

WHICH would have BEEN OK WITH A FIRE BLANKET (I advise everyone to learn from me and buy a few sets)

No, it really wouldn't have been ok with a fire blanket. Attempting to extinguish a fire such as you describe in a roofspace involving a gas heater with fire blankets would be akin to trying to take out a Challenger tank with a spud gun. Fire blankets are in my experience, terrible pieces of safety kit. Ok for smothering a post of slightly burning food but not much use for anything else.

Don't try and fight fires yourselves folks, get out, stay out and call us out. ;)

Soldato
Nope - but I am an expert on extinguishing fires safely. And to that end.......

No, it really wouldn't have been ok with a fire blanket. Attempting to extinguish a fire such as you describe in a roofspace involving a gas heater with fire blankets would be akin to trying to take out a Challenger tank with a spud gun. Fire blankets are in my experience, terrible pieces of safety kit. Ok for smothering a post of slightly burning food but not much use for anything else.

Don't try and fight fires yourselves folks, get out, stay out and call us out. ;)

This. Even common sense says this! Fire blankets are ok for smothering pots, but thats all. Thats why they are only ever found in kitchens.

I have a small powder fire extinguisher, but in no way would I be attempting to fight anything bigger than a small fire. I took a fire extinguisher course at work (learned quite a bit tbh!) and even they tell you if its there next to you, use it, if not, leave it and leg it. (after setting off alarms of course!)

Back
Top Bottom