PSU fanless v quiet such as seasonic x650 v x460 FL

Associate
Hi,

I am currently trying to spec up a pc to fit in a silverstone grandia case gd05 or 06 not quite decided yet which one. I am debating trying a fanles psu for the first time.

Im not sure what the deal is with PSUs really. is it better to go as low power as you can for efficiency or go higher wattage on one that only spins up when needed.

currently run seasonic x650 toying with going for the x460 FL on the next pc. opinions?

Associate
The fanless ones seems very expensive for what they are, you'd probably still need some airflow anyway for when the power levels go up. I'd go for one that spins up when required, I think some of the mid-high end Corsair PSUs are the ones to go for. I regret not going for a Corsair in honesty :)

Associate
Are you building a completely fanless system? If not I don't see the point in a fanless PSU.

The case you mention will require 1 to 3 fans running. Add to that both CPU and GFX card fans. The small amount of noise generated by the x650 when the fan does spin up will be insignificant.

Associate
OP
yea i hav the x-650 but it needs rma'd so i need a new psu in the meantime. should i just get another x650 then? guess it would mean i could just swap the box out and leave the cables in the pc haha. no not going entirely fanless, so yeah i see your point, i have pretty much decided against going fanless anyway coz in the summer gets quite hot in the room.

Associate
OP
Any recommendations on cpu coolers for this case? i am intending on going with the stock fans and adding 2 silent 80mm fans

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom