• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgarade

Associate
I have a 8800gt on a Q6600 with 4gb ram.
To be honest it is all still running just fine but I am getting itchy....

So what is the current sweetspot for processor/GPU/Ram and in what order of purchase??

Cheers all.

Caporegime
Is your Q6600 overclocked at all? It is getting on a bit now but would still cope to a semi decent level with GPU's such as a 7850/660.

If I had your system, I would upgrade the GPU first, followed by the CPU+mobo+ram.

Do you have a planned budget for a complete upgrade or do you intend to do it a bit at a time?

Associate
OP
I used to overclock it. It was the reason I bought it to be honest, but have changed the ram a few times and my current set (corsair) dont overclock well so I tend not too.
I prefer 22'' dual screens but like to get the best out of them. Is the 7850/660 the right match?

Caporegime
I used to overclock it. It was the reason I bought it to be honest, but have changed the ram a few times and my current set (corsair) dont overclock well so I tend not too.
I prefer 22'' dual screens but like to get the best out of them. Is the 7850/660 the right match?

The 660/7850 will still slightly bottleneck in some games but I wouldn't expect too much. The more you can get out of your CPU, the less of a bottleneck you would see but I am sure either of those will see you well. DX11 tesselation is fantastic and looks great when used properly.

Back
Top Bottom