Oz (TV Series)

Soldato
Has anyone seen this?

Oz - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118421/ Rating 9.0/10

Storyline

Oz chronicles life inside an experimental cell block in the Oswald Maximum Security Correctional Facility: Level Four called Emerald City. Under unit manager Tim McManus and Warden Leo Glynn, the inmates in Em City all struggle to fulfill their own needs. Some fight for power; either power over the drug trade or power over the other inmate factions. Others want money, either through slinging '****' (drugs), gambling or other scams. Others, Corrections officers and inmates alike, simply want to survive long enough to make parole or even to see tomorrow. The show gives a no-holds-barred account of prison life with all the plots, subplots and conflicts given context and explanation by the show's wheelchair-bound narrator, Augustus Hill.

I have just recently come across this and started watching it, 4 episodes in so far and it seems an excellent series.

Pretty brutal and uncompromising, but off-set with quite a humorous and off the wall way of narrating the story by the wheel chair bound Augustus.

This ran from 1997-2003, 6 seasons but only 8 episodes / season. (Amazing to see how 'old' 1997 looks already! :p)

So if you like your prison based drama, check this out - you won't be disappointed :)

Associate
Loved this series when i watched it a few years ago, really gritty and i did actually care/worry for some of the characters at times.

I belive series 3 (or 4) is a longer series, 16 or so episodes i think.

Soldato
there's a thread on this show somewhere and it is indeed a fantastic show.

as others have said, the first 3 seasons are the best but it's still great viewing overall.

chris keller is immense and the long running beacher and shillinger rivalry is brutally intense. loads of other interesting stories throughout too.

Back
Top Bottom