Boiler lockout problem

THT

THT

Associate
My boiler today has decided to go straight to lockout all of a sudden.

It's a range powermax 155 boiler and investigations online say I should try pressing the reset buttons.
This sounds stupid, but I have tried pressing every part of the red bit I can see, but nothing seems to move

Here is a picture:

Fkqga.jpg

Anyone got experience with this boiler or other things I can try before calling an engineer?

Thanks
Andrew

Last edited:
Associate
I have a powermax 155. However, i have not seen a red reset switch like that. My boiler used to display the "lockout" light, i just switched it off for 10 mins or so and then turned it back on.

There is a grey reset button on the inside that i have to press on occasion. You will need to take off the front panel at the top, there is a screw above the display and timer buttons. The button is on the left side near some wires, it is not labelled, the center of the button sticks out when it has tripped out.

Associate
Looks similar to mine. Although i dont have the red button at the top near the motor. My reset button is on the left side, just beneath the wires on the top left corner.

THT

THT

Associate
OP
Thanks but I only have another red button as per my first picture which doesn't seem to press at all

Must be a variation model

Associate
Send me your email via trust and i will take some pics on my blackberry for you.

Have you turned it off and let it power down completely (until the clock switches off)? If the button does not press, then it has not tripped, The centre pops out then stays in when you press it

Last edited:
Associate
I have sent a couple of pictures to your email. Our boilers are very similar but i do not have the pressure gauge. Comparing your pictures, i did manage to find another reset button on my boiler lol.

Good luck!

Associate
Does your boiler have an overflow pipe that runs out of the back/side of the property.

if so it may have frozen over not allowing the boiler to dump when it needs need when the pressure gets too high.

THT

THT

Associate
OP
It does but only 2 inches out the wall. Have tried pouring boiling water on despite not seeming frozen with no effect

Soldato
It a fairly common thing with those boilers, will need the engineer to sort it.

Had that boiler in my last place, same problem in my case it was solenoid failure on the gas valve, & second time was a sensor or ignition probe failed in the burner somewhere.

My boiler overflow froze, because the idiot who installed it, hadn't fit a 90 degree bend,it was just a straight pipe poking out of the wall.

Last edited:
Soldato
ive never known a boiler to go off because of high pressure..though your pressure is on 3 bar which is far too high, should be around 1.5bar

they normally go off if the condensate has frozen but im not sure you have one of those.

sorry i cant help you though, ive never worked on this type of boiler.. i dont think its going to be an easy fix if it wont reset so i'd say get someone in before messing with something you dont understand..

Soldato
One thing has come to mine, have you tried bleeding the radiators to see if there any air in them.
Had continual problems with trapped air, which for some strange reason would stop the boiler working.

It's a horrible boiler, hated the one in my last place:mad:, landlord got so fed with the problems, he replaced it with a Valliant.:)

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a fire. I put Coal/Wood on it! I set fire to it, It burns! I am warm!

It is the most basic of human technologies, and it works!

Modern Technology is worthless if it cannot do the job when you really need it to do it! :(

Back
Top Bottom