Spec Me : USB sound card / DAC with pro features

Associate
Hi there

Got an E-MU 0404 USB

Its amazing but ... doesnt work well with Windows 7 / 64 :(

I bought it second hand for my XP system and it was great but on 7 its a dog with the beta drivers. Wont run on any of my rear USB ports only my top one so have an ugly cable hanging out the PC and worst is it will randomly stop working "just cos". A common W7 issue as EMU.Creative never released a driver for it, even for Vista bar the beta.

So what Im looking for is ...

USB based DAC / sound card
Balanced XLR / TRS output
Balanced XLR mic + line (phono/jack) inputs
24-bit/192kHz or better
SPDIF co-ax
Stereo Headphone Output with volume (for when the mrs is trying sleep next door)

Basically the same or better spec as the EMU 0404 its going to replace.

Thanks folks :)

Rikki

PS: Inputs from Shure SM58 (XLR), Pioneer DJM800 (SPDIF), analog (jack/phono)

Associate
OP
The Roland looks good. But is it independent volume on main output and headphones or are they both combined? That would be an issue as I'd have to reach round the back of the krk monitors to turn them both off when wanting to use phones only.

Bar that it looks a winner!

Thanks

Soldato
Teac ud-h01 or dac magic or dacmagic plus. I went from the former to the latter. Cant remember if the teac had balanced outputs. Price was cheap. Sound was clear clean and sharp. Dac magic plus was the equivalent of going to a headbanging session or letting your hair down at a party. Im in the process of pre-amping the dacmagic plus to an azur 650r. Not really sure if this is what you want but have a look at the latter. Price might be an issue.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Without even looking I'd say the chances they have this :

24-bit/192kHz or better
SPDIF co-ax
Stereo Headphone Output with volume (for when the mrs is trying sleep next door)

Are slim being audiophile-esque rather than pro audio :(

Soldato
Without even looking I'd say the chances they have this :

24-bit/192kHz or better
SPDIF co-ax

Are slim being audiophile-esque rather than pro audio :(

The Dackmagic plus just lacks the mic im afraid.

Soldato
I'm running the 0404 USB in Windows 7 x64 also, nice hardware, shame about the software. it's a shame Creative took over Emu. :( The OSX drivers are better in my experience...

Try a really short USB cable, I find this makes it work better, failing that, the Apogee Duet 2 looks like it will fit the bill.

Associate
OP
I'm running the 0404 USB in Windows 7 x64 also, nice hardware, shame about the software. it's a shame Creative took over Emu. :( The OSX drivers are better in my experience....

Exactly. I havent had to throw out my mouse, keyboard, monitors, printer, scanner or card readers when I got a new PC and moved from XP to W7 64 so really annoyed that a pro sound card is left hanging my a thread :(

Ill check that one out thanks :)

Soldato
I've done a little more experimenting... Now, the headphones out works in normal apps and browsers, however if you want digital out then you need to use software that supports ASIO out.

This means I can hear sound thru my speakers using foobar2000 ASIO out but if I put on a youtube vid then I need to put on my headphones. :(

I'm not aware of any loopback ASIO programs, but if I make any more progress I'll keep you posted.

Are you still using yours? Do you use it mainly for audio production?

Back
Top Bottom