Amazon Shops on the Local High Street? (Predictions)

Soldato
The big change this needs however is them to buy/create their own courier service that ships from their own warehouse, and provides only their own warehouse. I don't see this being too big of an issue considering that Asda/Tesco etc... already invested enough into their home delivery network to pull it off.

I could go into this extensively, but can't really be bothered right now. But yeah, that's my prediction - same day delivery with possibly an 'amazon' courier service.

kd

Doesn't there already exist some kind of sameday courier who will collect from the company and get it to you as soon as possible? I forget what it is called, but I've seen it pop up a number of times on websites like Argos.

I'm not really sure how popular such a service is for personal customers, as even if Amazon was able to create their own courier to do such a thing, it would still be a hefty charge to the customer for sameday. Plus its deliberately an expensive service just because of the fact that you have to expedite the item through the supply change and allocate a single driver to go straight to the location, rather than economically driving a set route.

Of course, sending something by bike or other vehicle courier sameday is popular with businesses who may need something straight away, but they can factor in the cost vs speed. Where as personal customers are probably happy to wait for super saver delivery in the majority.

Soldato
i think they should stay online, they should build robots to do most of the hard work and employ indians for call sales to keep cost down..

i think every company should do this.. to keep the cost down for people in this country..

the same should happen for even the building trade, no shops, all online and the builders should all be indian or polish, even more so..

all British born persons should be replaced by a foreign workers or robots..

mp's should be replaced by african ones, to keep the cost down..

we should continue to pump all our money into other countrys like china and not make anything our selfs because its cheaper for us that way..

once the last british born native is on the dole they should stop pay outs and deport us to the moon.

Associate
They may look to do showrooming for some of their items (such as Kindle) given that a lot of retailers have realised they're essenitally lining Amazon's pockets by stocking them (both Walmart and Target in the US stopped selling them).

Here's what CEO Jeff Bezos has to say on bricks and mortar stores:

"We would love to, but only if we can have a truly differentiated idea.
One of the things that we don't do very well at Amazon is do a me-too product offering. So when I look at physical retail stores, it's very well served. The people who operate physical retail stores are very good at it.
The question we would always ask before we would embark on such a thing is: what's the idea? What would we do that would be different? How would it be better?
We don't want to do things because we can do them. We want to do something because it's going to — we don't want to be redundant."

http://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-jeff-bezos-stores-2012-11

Soldato
It will not happen, they are in the process of building several new big warehouses over the UK and will soon offer same day delivery (at a cost)

They do not need to have a store, the whole reason these stores are closing is because they do not get enough customers.

Amazon soon will offer; Same day deliveries, delivery to a collect+ store and delivery to their Amazon lockers which will be dotted all over the place.

Permabanned
Hello all,

After HMV going into administration today and the closure of Clinton's and other high street shops, I have a hunch that Amazon will start buying shops and stocking them on display. Thinking they might even buy huge warehouse shops and just fill them in. They might even do select stores so they might only sell digital camera's or fashion. They might even adopt the Argos way of buying products, Order online and collect in store (You might even get a bigger discount when you collect in-store). Its a shame that small and medium business' are dropping like flies. Any thoughts on this, Would it be possible? I'm not sure. What about after the double dip when there is less shops?

Do you think after the recession, we will only be left with the Large chain of shops. Lots of small family run business down my high street have closed down and I am afraid that we will be stuck with only the larger business'.

Thanks

JCX50

Amazon will never go on the high street. There are too many overheads and they are doing fine as they are. But you're right only the Big Guns will remain and Supermarket Wallmart type stores out of the City Centre.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I still quite amazed folk buy stuff on Amazon, a little more digging and you can still get cheaper from independents. Guess it depends on what you buy i guess.

Besides there all evil tax dodging US companies that just suck us brits dry.

QQ QQ

Soldato
I still quite amazed folk buy stuff on Amazon, a little more digging and you can still get cheaper from independents. Guess it depends on what you buy i guess.

Surprised, really? They're massive, of course people use them. As for elsewhere being cheaper, sometimes that's true, often it's not. People are more likely to trust Amazon over "WTF Electricals" when they're buying a TV or whatever anyway.

Associate
[TW]Fox;23563347 said:
Amazon already make a loss fairly often even without the expense of extra stores. Why would they add even more expense when already in the last 3 months of last year the cost of sales was lower than actual revenue?

Amazon's not out to make much if any profits at all each year, they spend most of their revenue on developing the company and expanding. They spend a small fortune on R&D each year. The kindle cost a small bomb in R&D from all accounts.

I cant remember where I read it (Need to find the article), but the crux is the management don't card if they turn a profit as long as they are plowing revenue into improving itself. Also profits aren't really the best indicator that the company is doing well.

In regards to the OP I cant see Amazon shops, it goes against their business design. But I never say never, hell you got Microsoft stores in some countries!

Soldato
That really sucks, since England is iconic for having quaint little villages, small country shops and family run farm shops. After this recession, England will loose some of its best loved and well known small, family run businesses along with some of the well known high street chains such as woolworths and now maybe even HMV.

Since when does HMV or Comet have anything to do with the quaint English small town look? I never saw either on Vicar of Dibly which tries to portray the country town. I lived in a small town in Devon and the nearest HMV or Comet was 40mins away!

Soldato
They will... but those shops will sell Kindle hardware, accessories and other stuff that pushes the Amazon ecosystem.

Like Apple not Argos :p

Back
Top Bottom