Thrustmaster t 500 r issues

Associate
OP
Wheelis coming loose again, i have just heard back from thrustmaster apologizing and they stated we can use non permanent thread locker.
The thread locker that's needed is something like in the link below ;)

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/t_lkr_blue/overview/Loctite-Threadlocker-Blue-242.htm
Is link ok, it's to manufactuers website

Aslong as you use the correct type of thread locker ( non-permanent ) it'll not viod warrenty,obviously if permanent stuff is used and the wheel needs repairing and thrustmaster cannot undo the screws without breaking something then i do'nt think warrenty will be covered but that bit is a guess ;)

I have had a few issues so far with the wheels but ocuk sorted it out and Thrustmasters Customer service has been as helpfull as they can be so i'm a happy chappy and would reccomend the t500rs simply because of the good cs i recieved and the fact it is a baddass wheel, obviously i have'nt actually used there rma service so i dont know the full story but so far everything has been smooth sailing apart from my unlucky down time.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I've bought a secondhand G25 from my brother, so my T500 wheel and TH8 shifter will be in the MM or on eBay very soon.

As good as the wheel is there are too many little niggles that I never had with a Logitech wheel for me to keep it.

Associate
OP
I've bought a secondhand G25 from my brother, so my T500 wheel and TH8 shifter will be in the MM or on eBay very soon.

As good as the wheel is there are too many little niggles that I never had with a Logitech wheel for me to keep it.

Have you used his g25?

Wondering what your opinions are, g25 vs t500rs.

Man of Honour
I've own the Logitech Momo, G25 and G27 wheels and the T500 is a better wheel.

But the T500 fan is loud, the desk clamp isn't the best. The pedals should be better than they are and Thrustmaster's customer service isn't up to Logitech's standards.

Associate
OP
The fan is loud but i cant here it over 5.1 or when using headset, do'nt use the clamp as its mounted in a cockpit and i hope if/when in the future i need to use there rma they are ok.

I rma'd with logitech once a dfgt and it was within 12 month of purchase, they told me to return it to the shop of purchase for a new one which i did, wheel was 11 month old and i thought that service was pretty darn awsome :)

What do you feels wrong with the pedals if you do'nt mind me asking ?
I've never felt anything decent so have no idea of good and bad, i can see these pedals are 10000 Times better than a dfgt pedals though :)
I think my only issue is the Accelerator could do with being stiffer.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The pedals might look the business but they are no better than the Logitech ones, yet the T500 was more than double the price of a G27 when it came out. They should have at least had a load cell on the brake instead of the potentiometer they and the Logitech's have.

Associate
OP
As you have had your t500 for awhile did you see any post's about changing the springs for better quality ones with more resistence or something along those lines?
I'm searching around at the moment ;)

Associate
OP
After about 6 hours racing with ffb in control panel at 70% the wheel is extremely weak and feels like its working via an elestic band lol

I'm going to order 2x 92mm and 2x 60mm fans, will probly go for the expensive ones like Noctua unless somebody has any suggestions on qite fans with good cfm.

Now i need to power these fans somehow?
Ideally i'd like to power them from my pc via a molex extension cable but i can't find any 3 meter molex extension cables.

Could use a cheap power supply and mount that to my metal cockpit lol lol

It all cost's money, i do'nt want to find out £50 worth of kit does'nt do much for me at all but it looks as if i'm going to have to just for the test.

I think if i played Multiplayer games and had a break in between races the wheel very well may hold upto to 6h racing but after 6h time trials there was nothing left to give.

I do'nt want to take the wheel apart as it cost a bomb and it has 2 year warrenty so i need to use any ventilation i can find and add a fan.

I'll allso need to use sticky back foam and layer it ect to fit the curves of the housing.

The fans will lose around 40/60% of there cfm due to vents are small and restricting so maybe i need very good quality fans that can cope with being taxed ??

I'll 100% be buying fans at ocuk so does anybody have any suggestions on what type and maybe a power source for them.

Edit

One of these would cover the top 2 holes and be quite and cheap.
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FG-020-BX&groupid=701&catid=2331&subcat=2335

Edit
Google is showing me molex power supplys that look like they are powered from the wall socket :)

Last edited:
Associate
Already bought one. Did look at yours but you live to far away to collect.

My wife has friends down in Tamworth so could probably have got it to you. Oh well it's on eBay now. They are great wheels but then again I've never had anything higher end to compare it against. I just didn't use it enough and it takes up a fair amount of space.

Associate
OP
Now filed for a refund again from shop of purchase as i've decided i'm not happy adding extra fans ect, los of power after awhile due to heat ect ?
I like the fact i now have a external molex power supply though, sure it will come in handy for something and Ocuk have dispatched my fans.

All the boxes i have recieved have been from the usa and relabled for uk or europe, 1 even had a v4 sticker over a v2 sticker and it was a v2 unit with 32 firmware !
All have been old and 2 had bad grooves/notches from where the belt has sit in same posistion for so long ( thats what google seems to say )

Associate
OP
Update,

WP_000180_zps124d2132.jpg

It would seem the issues ive been having with weak ffb were due to poor cooling as i'd suspected.

After over 2hours nonstop Hillclimb with 70% force feedback ffb was just as strong as as when i started !!!

The air that the 3 fans remove is massive.

The 2 airvents on the bottom left ( by electronics )now have some serious passive airflow being pulled in, a puff of smoke is gone instantly :)

So my enjoyment at 10 minutes was the same as 2 hours as feeback was nice and strong and i was'nt looking the wheel anymore thinking Meh.

Thrustmaster was keen to know the outcome of what the added fans done for me, i'll send them a picture and the reciept for the fans and psu lol.

Nothing better than adding fans to things that do'nt perform the way they should, just got to find a much cleaner way with the 3 top fans as its a mess, anybody any ideads, the surface for the 2 92mm are curved :(

Used

Xilence XPF92R Red Wing 92mm Quiet Fan £7.84

Noiseblocker BlackSilent Fan XR2 Fan - 60mm £6.08

Phobya 4pin Molex (12V) to 4x 3pin Molex (12V) Adaptor Cable £3 Waiting on this part, running off pc molext at moment.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
It would seem the wheels i recieved had poor cooling, the fan was working on them so it is just a case of a poor cooling design posibly as all the added fans make a huge impact in keeping the power at optimum levels with no loss in strength.

I had a choice, return the new wheel , wait for refund and have to order from a 3rd shop as the 2nd has no stock and then possibly recieve another wheel that loses its power after abit, too risky.

Power still is lost within the first 10 min of racing but it is only a small amount, the cooling makes sure that the wheel stays at the same temp so after the samll loss there is no further loss of power, 4 hours later wheel is as strong as after 10 minutes :), my gaming has now been taken to the next level as all the way through a racing session i am happy and not thinking " crap wheel "

Edit

Sadly this wheel gave up its life allso at 60% power, 30 min in there is a big loss in ffb power.

Brick is cool, motor is warm and not hot, maybe there is another factor at work here as the motor was cool enough to warrent a lot more power, hard lock felt like it was attached to an elestic band, it was very weak indeed, so ffb is weak and the hard lock is weak allso.

3 bad v2's, lots of wasted time £70 in fans and postage !

I see ocuk have v4 in stock now so i'm waiting for a refund from another shop and will try v4, failing that i can 10% say these wheels are total gash, ok for a quick race and a break, nothing more but i'll not know till i get a v4.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Just another update.
I personally take a lot of my dribble as truth as its from hands on experience ;)

Managed to get a v4 from ocuk, it allso loses feedback strength after about an hours racing time trials so its an issue with all the wheels i'd say and the guys that advised me that there wheel does'nt lose ffb streghth just do'nt nitice it, i sure do and have had 4 wheels so i take my experience as truth, i'm very good at noticing issues with the stuff i pay for ;)

So in my eyes the wheel is very good, lovely to race with amps of power as long as i race for 15 min and rest for 10 min or something just like when playing multiplayer games, i personaly dont think the wheel can handle single player games without drop off in feedback as its race, complete and move to next race for hours on end, something gets warm or hot and must turn the power down ect and so on.

I'll just piont out i'm no bum and i know how to race and i have enough brains to see a drop offf in power and i can see 100% on everywheel i had the powerfull wheel at 10 minutes is'nt no where near as powerfull after an hours racing as there is a big loss of torque ;)

Either way i do love the wheel and now know this is how the wheels work so i'll settle for it, it should be better but is'nt but it will do, its when my multiplayer starts the wheel will come to life because of the rest periods at locbby.

1st out of 1800 people in a comp for prizes on Race room experience
2013-02-0913580001_zps781ba7b7.jpg

Last edited:
Permabanned
I bought a B grade one today and the fan does get noisy after a while. I know who returned the item as it had the senders address in the box, I wonder if it's anyone from the forum lol

Both pedals and wheels were v4 and apart from a bit of markings on the rubber wheel I didn't notice any other problem with it.

Would I say is it better than the G27 that I have? Yes
But strangely enough I still think value for money the G27 is very good.

It's a shame that F1 wheel doesn't have a working SLI display nor does the stock wheel have gear shift and rev indicator.

So do these come with 2 year warranty? Do I need to register to get this?

Associate
Just got a Thrustmaster T500RS today and am NOT happy at all

IT IS UN USABLE it will NOT calibrate to centre.

I have installed it umpteen times done firmware updates umpteen times installed it on TWO machines trying UMTEEN DIFFERANT USB PORTS and im ready to scream.

I will be sending this back and keep my f430 wheel I WAS using and was using fine ,,,, Yes I made sure I had uninstalled the f430 thrustmaster drivers BEFORE I had installed the new T500RS drivers......

If anyone CAN help with the installation setup for this very problematic wheel I would be much appreciative as I can not afford to keep sending crap products back as it cost me £20 to send this thing back......

Associate
* PROCEDURE TO PERFECTLY CENTER THE WHEEL
1) Once the wheel is connected (and after the wheel has calibrated itself), turn the wheel completely to the left and then completely to the right.
2) Next, move the wheel to its perfectly centered position.
3) Simultaneously press and then release the “START + SELECT + MODE” buttons.
4) The wheel’s new central value is automatically and permanently saved in the wheel’s internal Flash memory
(note: do not repeat this procedure each time you reconnect the wheel).
IMPORTANT: Be sure not to not use this procedure too often, since there are a limited number of times that changes can be written to the wheel’s internal Flash memory.
= This procedure must be used only to modify the factory setting of the wheel’s central value.

Regarding the 'notches' that have been mentioned in this thread, this has been discussed at length over at GTPlanet. They are caused by the wheel staying in one position (while in storage) for an extended amount of time, resulting in a slight 'warping' of the belt where it has to bend sharply around one of the gears. As you use the wheel and the belt warms up, this 'lump' in the belt will reduce, making the notches less apparent. You can prove this to yourself by simply storing the wheel at a certain position, and even after as little as 5 minutes, you should be able to turn the wheel across that point and feel the new 'notch' that has been formed. It is therefore good practice to store the wheel in a different position each time.

The notches will be hugely apparent when you take a T500 fresh out of the box, as it will have not moved since it left the factory.

Back
Top Bottom