Audi owners in here!

Associate
To save me from scanning the thread (too lazy) a3 1.6tdi? Seem a pretty common ish car, looking at getting a year/2year old one. Seen mixed reviews about its economy, good engine or not? Sportbacks much different? Thanks for any replys, question heavy.

Man of Honour
Absolute rubbish - a true badge-snobs car. Woefully lethargic unrefined and gutless engine. Its the sort of car you buy when your desperation for an Audi keyring over-rides everything else.

A 'Sportback' is simply the 5 door hatch version.

Soldato
Had one as a courtesy car at work. Not toooook bad around town but terrible on motorways. Struggled to get more than 45mpg on a long run. I'd have a 3 year old 2.0 over a 2 year old 1.6 any day

Associate
Hi Guys,

I bought an 2006 2.0T A3 in october. Couple of weeks after buying it the engine management light came. I brought it back to the dealer and they said it came up on the computer with a fuel management system error and they told me the fuel cap was not tightened properly which is bs. From that I haven't brought it back to the dealer.

The car drives fine and the light comes on and goes off regularly. Any idea's on what this could be causing this? What cable do I need to read VAG engine codes?

Cheers,
Murzo

Last edited:
Caporegime
You need a VCDS cable (HEX+CAN), there are a few genuine ones on eBay at the moment (ignore the blue ones, they are typically HEX only, which is useless for that generation of A3).

Alternatively, find an owners forum and see if anyone in your local area has a cable they can scan your car with. I volunteer my services on http://seatcupra.net/forums but obviously the cable works with Seat/Skoda/Audi/VW.

Sent you a Trust email message.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi Guys,

I bought an 2006 2.0T A3 in october. Couple of weeks after buying it the engine management light came. I brought it back to the dealer and they said it came up on the computer with a fuel management system error and they told me the fuel cap was not tightened properly which is bs. From that I haven't brought it back to the dealer.

The car drives fine and the light comes on and goes off regularly. Any idea's on what this could be causing this? What cable do I need to read VAG engine codes?

Cheers,
Murzo

Have you not been back since it came back on again? Ask them for the fault code and write in down, at least you've got something to look into.

Caporegime
Hi Guys,

Cheers,
Murzo

Just to confirm, you took it back to the dealer you bought it from? Did they say that the problem was caused by things getting into the fuel system because you had not tightened it properly?

Associate
Basically I left the car with them and when I went to pick it up the guy told me that they put it on the computer and it came back with something to do with the fuel management system (that was his words). He then proceeded to bs me with the fuel cap was tightened properly which I don't believe for a second as I always make sure it is put on properly after filling up.

I bought it from a vauxhall dealer and they send the car because its an Audi to a another garage to diagnose and do the work for them. So I would rather try and figure out what is wrong with it myself then take it back to them to fix. I have a years warranty with car.

Associate
I've done 13000 miles in my pov-spec A1 Sport now so the front tyres need changing badly. Anyone else noticed how poor the choice is on tyres for the 16in wheels?

Managed to get Falken's for £82 a pop including fitting but still seems super expensive! Half tempted to get a set of used S-Line wheels and tyres in the summer, might work out cheaper in the long run!

Caporegime
16" Wheels have always been an expensive size IMO, mostly because they are a rather uncommon size. When I had 16" wheels on my old Saxo VTR (10 years ago!) they were still around £80/corner.

Associate
16" Wheels have always been an expensive size IMO, mostly because they are a rather uncommon size. When I had 16" wheels on my old Saxo VTR (10 years ago!) they were still around £80/corner.

Yeah definitely appears that way, wish I had known beforehand but I just didn't think about it. My Fez ST's tyres were quite a bit bigger and cost quite a bit less. Ah well!

Soldato
After asking some questions earlier in the year I ended up with a 57 A4 2.0TFSI in October.
It's an SE but with the chrome trim so I think it's ok stylewise. It's lacking on the ICE front though, just the standard Concert stereo. Can't settle on what to replace it with.
Got a good deal on it, ex-police car, but was used for transporting people, so no light fittings etc. and really good service history, although the book has gone missing :(

Soldato
Yeah definitely appears that way, wish I had known beforehand but I just didn't think about it. My Fez ST's tyres were quite a bit bigger and cost quite a bit less. Ah well!

From what I've heard, the tyres for S-line 17" wheels are cheaper than the 16". I only realised after checking camskill. Done 14k miles now, not checked the tyre tread recently though - they appear fine though. Running Conti's at the moment. :)

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m62b0s403...yres_-_16_inch_R16_inch_-_215_45_16_215_45R16

Associate
Picked it up yesterday:

Audi A8L 6.0 W12

IMG_3634_zps62c75e17.jpg

IMG_3641_zpsf7be4f7e.jpg

IMG_3648_zpsa6c09c3e.jpg

IMG_3652_zpse11c7998.jpg

IMG_3655_zpsa2e26e26.jpg

IMG_3661_zps18bc398e.jpg

IMG_3669_zps7899bb58.jpg

Soldato
hello

im going to be on the market for a new car in may, really want a TT :)

what audi/tt forum would be best for info to start reading on what to look for when buying, will be aiming for 2002 plate quattro ,,, thanks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom