Innocent smoothies contents

Soldato
Grapes for 10p, Strawberries 40p? Last time I went shopping a punnet of grapes was £2+ and im sure blackberries and blackcurrents are £2.50. Granted bananas are cheap at about 10p each

You said buy the ingredients for one carton. You think innocent buy a whole pack of strawberries, add four and throw the rest away? :rolleyes:

Caporegime
Grapes for 10p, Strawberries 40p? Last time I went shopping a punnet of grapes was £2+ and im sure blackberries and blackcurrents are £2.50. Granted bananas are cheap at about 10p each

:D

Yeah because If I wanted to price up the cost of filling my car with fuel I'd have to factor in buying a tanker full :p

Soldato
Ok allow me to reword my theory with an example:

1 Vat : 200 bananas / 100 bottles = 2 per bottle

Therefore they can state on the pack 2 per bottle

Considering it arrives at the bottling factory in a big vat on the back of a lorry (it's made elsewhere), I don't see how they can calculate it any other way than what you're suggesting.

Associate
Well yeah I know....but seriously the amount of sugar in fruit is crazy.

But then flavoured water is too, I bought some of that Volvic touch of fruit and it's got tons of sugar in as well.

It's when you expect something to be healthy and it's not.

Got to be better than the litre bottles of Lucozade I used to drink though.

Soldato
Why would that list of ingredients cost £10 :confused:

Apples 40p
bananas 30p
grapes 10p
strawberries 40p
blackberries 60p

+ blackcurrants, orange, lime

And that's not even using all the cheapest stuff and generous with weights. Never mind buying in bulk or whatever.

Apples are actually fairly expensive, decent ones anyway. Bananas are generally cheap/awesome to stock up on.

Caporegime
Hmm, could that be the total amount of each fruit in the vat divided by the amount of cartons the vat produces?

probably

Lol, what?

In a word, no.

They'd be tiny vats if it was :p

think you skim read his post guys....

of course its the average number of those ingredients required... its not like there is someone counting out exactly 6 grapes for each carton... and yes there is going to be a lot or waste

its like it takes 10 lemons to make a bottle of original source shower gel... well they might well be using 10 lemons for every bottle they make but it doesn't necessarily mean each bottle contains the total volume of lemon juice you could obtain from 10 lemons

Soldato

Depends where he shops I guess.

In a Supermarket, yes, you will be paying a lot, £2 at least for Grapes like you say.

However, if you go to a market or independent business, you can get them really cheap. We get a lot of fruit sellers around where I live who will sell you whole bowls of different types of fruit for a £1. The only downside is that its often more ripe than what you get in the supermarket, so you can't leave it for an entire week.

Coincidentally, Channel 4's Dispatches tonight reported on Supermarkets and how they overcharge us for fruit and veg, yet make a killing on it. It's not up on 4OD yet, otherwise I would have posted the link.

Soldato
Visual quality is probably lesser. as in they'd probably be the oddly shapped fruits that the supermarkets think nobody is interested in, which they'll also get directly instead of going through various middlemen who add their profit on top.

Soldato
However, if you go to a market or independent business, you can get them really cheap. We get a lot of fruit sellers around where I live who will sell you whole bowls of different types of fruit for a £1. The only downside is that its often more ripe than what you get in the supermarket, so you can't leave it for an entire week.

This is also why they don't use fresh fruit. They couldn't get a consistent product. Somey fruit would be under/over ripe. Frozen is the only way to get the quantity required in a maintainable consistent condition.

Back
Top Bottom