Western Digital Caviar Red 3TB OEM HDD - What's the verdict?

Associate
So after purchasing myself an HP ProLiant MicroServer a few weeks ago, I've been wanting to stretch out as much hard drive space as possible. After hunting around, the biggest drives that I've come across are the Western Digital Caviar Red 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache WD30EFRX - OEM HDDs.

Can anyone vouch for these? They seem to be recommended for NAS boxes and since I intend on using my HP server mainly as as NAS, I thought these would be the most appropriate.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Soldato
I've just put 2 on a RAID controller (RAID 1) and the results seem reasonable (if it were a more expensive case with redundant PSUs and UPS I'd feel more confident to enable write cacheing which brings the write speeds up a LOT):

3TB%2520RAID.jpg

Can't speak for real world or longetivity yet as not tried it but they do have a 3 year warranty it would seem.

Caporegime
I'mcconsidering getting one of these for the OS of my server. Have wd greens for the pure data drives

Picking the drives for this thing is quite tricky!

Associate
OP
What actually is it about them that makes them more reliable?.

That's something I'd certainly like to know. Their whole advertising campaign is based on the fact these are built for NAS/Servers which tells me their built to last. But we all know, when moving mechanical parts are involved, they will never last forever.

Can someone shine some light on these murky waters?

Associate
I have 3 3tb Red drives and can't complain.

Obviously haven't had them very long, but I can say that they run quiet and cool.

I can also say that Western Digital's customer service has been first rate, at least in my case.

Associate
To summarise the video above:

They have reduced vibration, and they deal with errors differently to desktop drives.

At the start of the video he says "there's a good reason why there's 4 drives in this box and not five" and then doesn't say why...

Soldato
Cool, thanks for all the links guys :)

Even though it's going into an enclosure, it'll likely be on all the time (or at least for 15 hours a day, every day) so it seems that the red drive is the one to get over the Green. I don't see any obvious drawbacks to using these over the Greens as single drives either.

For the extra few pennies you pay, the added year warranty seems worth it anyway :)

Back
Top Bottom