Another new tyre dilema

Soldato
For me, I had Vred Sessantas (directional) on the front. They weren't new but not particularly old either. I had a puncture in a rear (also Vred Sessanta) but couldn't get one as it was Christmas and nothing would be delivered in time. We were due to go to Gatwick on boxing day so had to get whatever the garage had. They had a Goodyear Asym so two of those went on the rear. Even after a few k miles, if you entered into a roundabout with a little spirit, the rear end would pendulum round and sometimes even DSC would struggle, whereas before, entry / exit speeds could be a lot higher.

Associate
OP
Ok update time :(

Went to get the two new Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's fitted this morning....that went fine and dandy, but was then told that the rears are wearing heavily on the inside edges (almost to the point of being illegal). Upon checking the rears for myself, they are indeed wearing very heavily on the inside edges. How I missed this myself I don't know, as I check my tyre pressures on a regular basis and normally give the tyres a visual once over whilst I do.

So what I thought was only going to be a £250 exercise has turned out to be closer to £600. That's taking into account the need for a 4 wheel alignment check and setup on the tyre places Hunter Hawkeye system. The inner tyre wear or the back could be down to using incorrect tyre pressures, or it could be the alignment is out.

When I got the ST220 wheels I checked what the tyre pressures should be front and back and got the answer of 37psi in the front and 34psi in the back. Now having come back from the garage I've checked again online and am getting conflicting information.

Putting the reg numbers of a 2004/2005 Mondeo ST TDCI/ ST220 Estate's into a few different websites I'm getting conflicting tyre pressure information.

Some are coming back saying 36psi in the front and 33psi in the back, some are saying 42psi in the front and 38psi in the back. Which one is it? lol

Any advice as to what pressure's I should be running at all please? I'll check with the tyre place when I go back later to get the two rears fittted and see what they say.

Not a happy bunny :(

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
I may be corrected by these Dude with new motors & the same kind of tyres but that seems well over the top even @ 33psi

I run my little motor @ 26psi but like I said Dudes with the same kind of motor & tyres make correct me.

Associate
OP
I've got the tyre pressures in the handbook for my car. But I'm running the 18" ST220/ST TDCI wheels, mine is only a Ghia-X TDCI Estate which had 17" wheels on as standard. Hence the question about tyre pressures :)

Soldato
I run with 36psi all round in my ST TDCI, although you have tyres now I'd recommend the Falken 452 as a cheaper option in the future. 36PSI is the handbook pressure, increasing to 42 when loaded.

Associate
OP
After doing some digging around online, it seems that excessive inner tyre wear on the rear of the Mondeo Estates is a common problem. It seems that a good 4 wheel alignment can help reduce the problem though, which is good....time will tell though.

Back
Top Bottom