Broken car, options :(

Permabanned
So my mondeo went in the other day, news came today that I need one new injector and an electric actuator for the turbo, about £150 without fitting.

So talking about £500 with fitting, it's an 05 mondeo tdci so I imagine its worth about £1500? Haven't looked yet but maybe less.

Need a car for about 10k a year, can't really spend much more than what the mondeo is worth in present condition.

So what would you guys do, new car or repair the old or any other suggestions!

Soldato
Repair the old one I guess. Actuator sits at top of engine next to turbo so is a doddle to fit, and I wouldn't think fitting and recoding an injector would cost 350 quid. Take it elsewhere

Soldato
Parts price is about right, labour is massive

Even so, a £500 bill on an 05 Mondeo....why would you ditch it?

You can spend £500 now and have a car that you know works.

Or you can sell it for what it's worth now (Broken it's probably worth 500 quid), add the 500 quid you would spend on repairs and end up with something much older and less reliable. These questions get asked when you have a 1500 quid bill on a 1500 quid car, not a 500 quid bill

Permabanned
OP
Repair the Mondeo :) Better the devil you know, etc.

This is true, my next worry is just something else on the turbo going, or needing the other 3 injectors done fairly shortly after.

I was quoted £300 for injector fitting including original diagnostics ect, and i reckon about £200 to find actuator and fitting.

Soldato
This is true, my next worry is just something else on the turbo going, or needing the other 3 injectors done fairly shortly after.

I was quoted £300 for injector fitting including original diagnostics ect, and i reckon about £200 to find actuator and fitting.

As I said before, you wouldnt be able to buy anything that you would have any more faith in, so why bother.

Make sure the oil is changed regularly to look after the turbo, dont rag the nuts off it and get any odd noises/blips checked out before they turn into big issues. Car ownership costs money unfortunately - a couple of hundred quid here and there is par for the course

Back
Top Bottom