Who here owns a Fiesta ST?

Soldato
Clutch sounds like what happened when my slave cylinder went....bleeding it fixed it for a couple of days but eventually the pedal went all soft and spongy again. Did you ever get the car sticking in gear?

Your car doesnt half lead a hard life Adam, wales roadtrip in the snow in january....nutter! :D

the slave is less than 2 months old (after JamSport rebuild), however it could be a defected one? I never had the car sticking in gear until the return leg home of the Wales Trip, Cardiff Junction 30 M4 to M25/A12 junction all in 5th gear, as i pulled up to the lights i notice the pedal was useless ie no pressure at all and i stalled as i come to a stop. A few pumps and it was "ok" although it does only have about half the travel as normal, ie the first half is just nothing but softness.

Alternator has loud bearings but hasn't failed "yet". Thermostat doesn't fully close, so car doesn't really get up to temp. I'm sure you've seen my radiator block mods on FB, bodge job or what! I should get pictures up here haha.

Trip around Wales was fun to say the least. Monday on the way up it was hammering down with snow around Luton way and the M1 was starting to get snow settling on it. By the time i go to Telford it was heavy rain, so i took the silly decision to go over the horseshoe pass and down the A4212 as well on the way to Porthmadog. Heavy snow in the hills made it a bit scary heh. Tuesday going up the Llanberis Pass was a bit slipperly (BMW's weren't making it). Wednesday was fine. Thursday my car nearly slid down a hill and off the road while i was gritting a road myself. Ooops!

Passed 79k while on this trip, Certainly getting old and making me think ooooooohhhhh ST2 :)

Soldato
Does sound just like how my clutch problem started - I had jamsport fit my diff and a new slave and the slave broke maybe 4 months later.... I discovered the spongy pedal and the car was stuck in fifth gear on the m40, had to pump like mad to get pedal to go hard but it got worse and worse as time went by, the pedal getting softer and softer, and the car sometimes being stuck 'in gear' or neutral and not being able to shift . Eventually stalled out, stuck with nothing but neutral, and I had to get the car recovered from near the top of Birdlip hill on the A417....

I'd be slightly concerned about the slave leaking fluid onto the clutch if it has gone, my clutch was knackered after all of that, the fluid doesnt do the friction material any good at all :(

Soldato
Fingers crossed for you...could be something else entirely, the master cylinder can go as well (£200 odd part IIRC), problem is diagnosing where the problem is in the clutch hydraulic system - you can't get at the slave cylinder easily to inspect it.

I know when I had issues with my car and spoke to Jamsport they said just to bleed it, which I did, but it didn't fix the issue, merely made it go away for a while - Jamie gave me some tale about cars with a non-standard manifold meaning the fluid gets hotter and boils, so needs frequent bleeding, but couldn't explain why this apparent issue with the car was never mentioned as a common problem on any of the forums or anything, not even as something that effected trackday cars (like the boiling PAS fluid)!

In the end the slave was knackered, so gearbox out job, and new clutch :(

Associate
Overlag, you said many pages ago you had a piper sports cat and piper decat. How loud was the sports cat? Was the decat too loud and anti-social as in enough to annoy your neighbours? I'm in an indecisive mood right now because I'm looking to get either the sports cat or the decat (I've got a piper catback). The sensible side of me says keep it legal and go for the sports cat but I'm not sure it will pop and bang as much, did yours? I did find that they do a decat with a silencer box but I think that kind of defeats the purpose! Also nobody seems to have one. I don't want the noise level to be unbearable. I'll have a milltek evo 2 manifold going on the car soon aswell.

Hmmm which way would you guys go?

Soldato
The Piper system would get on my nerves very quickly, Its about the loudest exhaust you can get for the Fiesta (apart from the group n style ones from the likes of Simpson exhausts etc). Much too loud in my view - this is based on being in a decatted car with full Piper system. Sounded decent...but LOOOOUUUUD! :(

Soldato
I had a piper for about 8months with a decat, then around 24months with a sports cat, then a month or so with a decat.

With a decat you will get headaches FAST, and its very antisocial. With a Sports cat it isn't too bad but its still too loud IMO. Its the main reason i got Mountune was to get a quieter exhaust! The Booming/drone on the motorway was HORRIBLE. Mountune and Miltek systems dont suffer from this as much. As much as i hated it, i do also kind of miss it too!

Associate

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
some people are going to want a new car and not a 4 year old car that is out of warranty.

the cost of running a 1.6 turbo hatch and running a 2.5l turbo hatch will be significantly different.

consumables and parts for a MK2 RS are likely to be a lot more expensive than an ST

sure, an enthusiast will probably go for the RS as they would understand the running costs

but i would imagine that a 4 year old MK2 RS is not going to appeal to the sort of person looking to purchase a brand new Fiesta

Associate
Back to the current MK6 ST, just picked mine up from the garage.

New Water Pump to cure to the coolant leak
OSF Wheel Bearing
Driveshaft bearing

Two bearings, coupled with the OSR wheel bearing a few months ago, together seem to finally have got rid of the wuring metalic sound!

All done on warranty as well! :D

Soldato
Seems to be quite a few gearbox related issues after JamSport have been involved?

Can't beat a sports cat, quieter than the de-cat is a bonus too.

Ordered some rear camber shims, will be interesting to see what they look like.

Last edited:
Soldato
Associate
Nothing compares to the sound of a decat though... Sounds like fireworks up its exhaust :D

See just when I've decided to go for a sports cat I suddenly start thinking about decats again! I don't think I could tolerate the piper decat for very long which is why I thought going for the one with the silencer might be a better option. But nobody at all seems to have one. The guy at piperexhausts said it would be the quieter than the sports cat. Hmmm I need to get deciding!

Soldato
They do drone quite bad after a long run but only when they are absolutely scorching hot, my milltek system has nothing on it apart from the back box and is very loud (But not anti-social) but it's only after I've been on the motorway for 20 minutes or so that it starts to drone, driving out and about is fine, the bangs are properly addictive though, not having a cat in also makes the exhaust less "boomy" so it sounds less like a fart :D

maj

maj

Soldato
So after a diagnostic today, I need to replace the 02 sensor after the cat. Ford want £240 for the pleasure of ordering and fitting the part. Anywhere where I can get one cheaper? Couldn't find one on fordpartsuk and not sure the ones on ebay are trustworthy.

Back
Top Bottom