Wireless 360 controller won't connect to PC (with the adapter)

Associate
Plug in your wireless receiver
Go to your Control Panel -> Devices and Printers -> Device Manager -> Unknown Device
Double Click the Unknown Device and click the Hardware tab , choose Update Driver
Select Browser my computer for driver software
Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
Scroll down and select “Microsoft Common Controller for Windows” Class and click “Next”
Select “Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows” and click on next.
Select Yes for any warning message
Done.

Caporegime
OP
I'll try using their CD stuff and see if that makes any difference, doubt it though :(

What one did you buy?

EDIT:

Will try that too Lynx

Caporegime
OP
Still not working properly :(

Connects for like 5 seconds then disconnects and won't reconnect for another 5-10 minutes :confused: I am keeping my eye on the receiver and the green light stays on constantly so if it was the adapter then the green light would also turn of?

Was thinking maybe it is the controllers, but this is happening with both controllers and can't be the batteries as I have just placed new ones in them.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Will do! :)

I noticed that you and lynx both said you chose the “Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows” option yet in the guides on youtube etc. they say to choose "Xbox 360 controller for windows Version 2.1.0.1349" :confused: The wireless receiver does make the most sense, obviously :p Any ideas what the difference between them is?

Man of Honour
Will do! :)

I noticed that you and lynx both said you chose the “Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows” option yet in the guides on youtube etc. they say to choose "Xbox 360 controller for windows Version 2.1.0.1349" :confused: The wireless receiver does make the most sense, obviously :p Any ideas what the difference between them is?

No idea but it's always worked for me :p

Understanding the process at first was a bit tedious, now it's just a small amount of faff!

XBOX.jpg

Caporegime
OP
Just tried the CD drivers out and same thing happens again.

So next step, try it on another PC, might not get the chance to do it tonight though....

Associate
I bought one it worked great...so i bought another one or my son...and guess what i got the problems you are getting....so i swapped them around and my one worked great so it turned out to be a faulty one with the blinking lights that you have described.....i sent a message and got it replaced...it came and worked great....so id say you have a faulty receiver ...

Caporegime
Mine (ms official) doesn't connect sometimes. Once its done its done. I could not get mine to sync once. I can't remember what I did. I think I reinstalled the drivers and synced it to xbox then back to pc

Caporegime
OP
If it doesn't work on the other PC tomorrow then I'll just contact the seller and either get my money back or a replacement. I'll reconnect the controllers to the 360 just to be sure that it isn't them.

Caporegime
OP
Just tried it on another PC and the same thing happens again, tried the controllers on the 360 last night and they were just fine, so going to contact the ebay seller now.

Associate
Thats what i done they sent another one out...didnt even want the old one...probably as it would cost to send it back so they were pretty helpful....let us know how you get on...

Soldato
mrk is on the ball with this one.... I've got instructions somewhere but can't be asked to find them .... If you need them I'll let you know.

I do recall having to install some dodgy old driver but in the end it works very well bar the initial faffing around

Caporegime
OP
Thats what i done they sent another one out...didnt even want the old one...probably as it would cost to send it back so they were pretty helpful....let us know how you get on...

Yeah, hoping that they will just send a new one out or just collect the current one and drop the new one of at the same time, hopefully I'll hear back soon, told them everything that I had tried in the message.

mrk is on the ball with this one.... I've got instructions somewhere but can't be asked to find them .... If you need them I'll let you know.

I do recall having to install some dodgy old driver but in the end it works very well bar the initial faffing around

Thanks :) But I think I have already tried what you are thinking of and what mrk did, something along the lines of download driver from microsoft site, install driver, restart pc, plug adapter in, then go to device manager, click update on "unknown device" and search for the driver manually, choose a certain version and then connect controller.

Will let you all know when/if they get back :)

Soldato
Thanks :) But I think I have already tried what you are thinking of and what mrk did, something along the lines of download driver from microsoft site, install driver, restart pc, plug adapter in, then go to device manager, click update on "unknown device" and search for the driver manually, choose a certain version and then connect controller.

Will let you all know when/if they get back :)

Not quite.... I'm now on the machine where the driver is installed... the instructions that I have are as follows....

http://krisrowland.wordpress.com/20...eless-controller-adapter-in-windows-7-64-bit/

Along with the following file which is what got it working for me....

Xbox360_64Eng.exe

MD5: 4C7FBAD5BBEBC0D3807129092A1DE4B9
SHA-1: 00F7246437C53F3ABA5516AC3FC572181C24C666

Caporegime
OP
Ah ok! I will give that a try now and see then, thanks :)

EDIT:

Actually that is what I have tried! :p

EDIT:

Tried it again anyway and still the same, it is weird though as that guide and some others say to choose "XBox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows Version: 2.1xxx", the only thing that comes up with receiver is "xbox 360 wireless receiver for windows" (no version number) and then others say to choose "xbox 360 controller for windows version 2.1.xxxxx"

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Just got a reply back:

Thanks for your information.

To be honest, we can NOT make sure if it is the compatible issue or quality problem, but would like to reship you another one to try it, is it the same address as before?

If the 2nd item work well, that should be the quality problem of your current one.

If the 2nd item still the same, it should be the compatible issue, you send back both back to us for refund, is it OK?

Wait for your reply.

Regards

Hannah

So I'll get them to send out a second adapter and see what happens.

Caporegime
OP
Second wireless receiver arrived today and it is working great so far......*touch wood*

I installed it by:

- installing software
- plugging adapter in
- device manager, click on unknown device, choose browse for driver, select froma list
- chose microsoft common controller and then wireless receiver option
- turned controller on, hit the button on the receiver and then the connect button on the controller

It connected as soon as I hit the connect button and hasn't disconnected yet.

Thanks very much for all the help/replies! :)

What about turning the controller of? Or will it just go into standby mode by itself?

EDIT:

NVM, turned itself of after a few minutes :o :p

Last edited:
Soldato
sorry to revive the somewhat old thread but has anyone got this working on windows 8?

ive spent around 3 hours now faffing with mine and i cannot get the controller to pair with the adapter.

my one has holograms and all sorts on, looks official but at £6 i know it aint.

ive tried every suggestion detailed here and on the internet.

Back
Top Bottom