INTEL NUC BAREBONES THAT FITS IN YOUR HAND!!!!

Soldato
All of the "test kits" which were sent out to reviewers appear to have included an Intel 525 series 180 GB SATA III (6 Gbps) SSD drive, which doesn't appear to be on sale anywhere at all yet!

The Crucial M4, (obviously the mSATA version) looks like a pretty good alternative option though!

Mind you, OcUK are out of stock of both 'base units' at the moment anyway! :(

Last edited:
Associate
Thinking of fitting out a classroom of 30 PCs with these, 4GB ram + 64gb SSD, should come in at less than £270 (ex vat yay) per unit + monitor, quite looking forward to trying one out :)

Should save what these are worth in electricity in no time considering the classroom being replaced is currently sucking down juice for Pentium 4 Ds and horrible foxconn motherboards :p

Wont they just get nicked? You gonna need to bolt them down :D

Soldato
I was considering getting a Crucial M4 128GB mSATA Solid State Drive to go inside mine, but I see that these are also currently out of stock, with no E.T.A.

Do you have any idea when these might be available again?

Thanks! :)

Soldato
Had one at work, best thing about these - THE BOX :D you open it and it plays the intel jingle!

They are awsome little devices tho. really powerful for what you get, tempted to get one as a media box :)

Soldato
sorely tempted by a little box to hide behind the TV, but then im still left with the DL115 acting as both media centre and storage server. If i reduce that to a NAS or HPs mini server then a little box like the NUC could be a nice treat.

Associate
Just for info, Nuc with Crucial M4 128 mSata.

NucSSD_zps8e9c65e8.jpg

Soldato
Got my test one the other day, really impressed with it!

Two cable ties secure it to the VESA mount opposed to using the kensington lock (cheaper and just as secure for our needs, plus no need for stupid keys) just got to buy a bunch of really short cables now to make a finished test setup :)

I've not tried this yet but I'm wondering....due to the lack of 3.5mm sound output I went with a monitor that had a line out jack on it, if i mute the sound on the monitor settings, does that mute the sound of the line out too or is that always controlled by whatever the PC is set at? The lack of 3.5mm jack is the only draw back really but luckily monitors can overcome that :D

EDIT: for anyone reading this wondering why, it's for setup in a school. Honestly looking forward to getting 30-60 of these things.....going to lineup all the boxes and make them all do the tune at once haha

Soldato
Just for info, Nuc with Crucial M4 128 mSata.

NucSSD_zps8e9c65e8.jpg

Thanks for posting that.

As the Crucial M4's were out of of stock when I built mine, I went for a Plextor PX-128M5M 128GB mSATA SSD with Marvell 88SS9187 Controller instead.

This is quite a new model (the date of manufacture was January 2013) and as the specs quote sequential mode performance of up to 540MB/s read and up to 320MB/s write, it might be slightly, but probably not noticeably, faster than the M4.

They also quote "Random read speeds of up to 80K IOPS and write speeds up to 76K IOPS at 4K file size, give maximum real-world performance benefits." and say that "Advanced True Speed technology provides long-term sustained performance for all data types and prevents speed drop."

It will interesting to see the actual results from a 'real world' comparative test though!

Associate
Thanks for posting that.

As the Crucial M4's were out of of stock when I built mine, I went for a Plextor PX-128M5M 128GB mSATA SSD with Marvell 88SS9187 Controller instead.

This is quite a new model (the date of manufacture was January 2013) and as the specs quote sequential mode performance of up to 540MB/s read and up to 320MB/s write, it might be slightly, but probably not noticeably, faster than the M4.

They also quote "Random read speeds of up to 80K IOPS and write speeds up to 76K IOPS at 4K file size, give maximum real-world performance benefits." and say that "Advanced True Speed technology provides long-term sustained performance for all data types and prevents speed drop."

It will interesting to see the actual results from a 'real world' comparative test though!

I was going to go for the same, they claim the service life is twice the amount of hours compared to the M4.

Search for Plextor PX-128M5M V Crutial M4 test on google, and make your choice :).

Back
Top Bottom