Exernal psu for fans

Associate
I have added fans to a steering wheel, 7 in total and have ordered this HDD-POWER-SUPPLY-AC-12V-5V-2A-FOR-HARD-DRIVE-MOLEX
This looked great but sadly as it has a plastic part for pin 2 instead of a connection it just wont work for what i need, its small and light hence the reason i went for it.

It has pins in 1,3,4
1 +12v
2 nothing ( plastic )
3 GND
4 +5v

So the 2amp psu will not power any of my fans as i need 1 and 2 for 12v, it wuill power my fans if i hook up to 1 and 3 but this is'nt very strong and is more like 5v, this is powering one fan to test so psu is'nt being overpowered, it cost £5

So i'm extremely stuck at the mo, i do'nt want a £20 psu attached to my racing simrig.

Fans are all hooked upto a 4 way fan splitter and they all work fine when using the 1 and 2 from the pc molex for 12v but this means pc side needs tobe opened and i dont like pc attached to metal cockpit just incase !

Any body any ideas

Heres a pic

Soldato
Pins 1 and 3 should give 12v. It is 1 and 4 that would give 7v. Maybe the power brick is faulty.

What about swapping pin 2 and pin 3?

Associate
OP
Hi,
Thanks for input.

So what will pins 1 and 2 give me as thats what i'm using now ?
Using the red and black cables next to each other as the molex extensions that come with the fans has a 2 pin header coming off it for mobo i believe.
power_zps25167f3c.jpg

Associate
OP
molex_zps86859cc1.jpg

3rd pin down has no connector, it looks like its a a fake hole all the way to the bottom, it really does look like its suppossed to not have a connector there as it has a lip that mimicks the connectors.

And as there is no connector there none of my fans will work from molex unless i re-arange the molex cables which isnt happening and the power was off using the 12v and gnd so maybe its a iffy psu or just terribly low quality, god knows, i do know it has now fell apart in my hands and is now broke hahaha

Soldato
Yellow (12v) and black (0v) will give you 12v. It doesn't matter if the black is in position 2 or 3.

I forget which position is 1 on the old Molex peripheral connector but if you follow the convention from your PSU cabling you can identify which wire should be the 12v and which is the 5v and 0v.

Associate
OP
Sorry i got mixed up, the red and black cable coming out of teh molexes are to the yellow and black so im allready runing at 12v :), just to test i swapped it over and fans was weak, the red and black to 3 pin header got me confused hence the reason i was trying todo red and black on the small psu i got.

Thanks for help :)

Back
Top Bottom