Typing faster

Associate
i learnt to type fast in the days of msn zone playing age of empires hot keys.. still remember them to this day.

gaming is the best way probably though as you do spam buttons quite a lot but you find its the keys closer to the left as you tend to use ctrl, shift and alt as modifiers.

just practice not looking at the keyboard a lot. typing in the dark does help a lot. if you try to use your keyboard without looking you tend to get into a patterm of using your fingers in a certain way to locate different keys thus when you start to look you generally know where to put your fingers. you'll just have a lot of typos at the start from sloppy typing.

Just came here to notify you all that I'm sat on 10 tremendously quick fingers, 95wpm, 97% accuracy,

Ladies....;)

i used to have a program years ago that used to log key presses and you could link up with friends to see who had the best wpm, accuracy and words a day ect

Associate
OP
95_480_0_0_90_1_94.47_3237_58508

Beat my previous record, time to push for 100 now! :D:D

Soldato
I want to start typing faster. It's pretty simple, but meh.
I'm left handed (not sure if that has any relevance whatsoever) and I feel that I personally do not type as fast as I could be able to, or as fast as I used to be able to.
I have some flaws, such as the fact that I use my right hand index finger to press the space bar 95% of the time, therefore my thumbs are used for nothing.
Also, when I even attempt to type fast, I make a lot of errors in some words.
Since I use the right index finger I obviously find the typical position of where the fingers should be laid uncomfortable.
Any tips? I'm getting a mechanical keyboard soon so that should hopefully improve the typing speed.
Thanks.

Right index finger is used because.....?

Space bar should be pressed with right thumb....

If you want to get some serious speed take a typing course. I'm serious. I did it as part of my business course. You feel a bit of a big girls blouse but it works wonders for your typing - I'm typing this as fast as the words come into my head.

For reference, left 4 fingers should cover ASDF, right 4 fingers JKL; thumb on spacebar, thats with a QWERTY keyboard of course.

All other keys can be reached by a short stretch from those positions :p

Associate
Just keep typing. Practice makes perfect.

diphvgfafbvadlhaokwdhlawjgd vdfvaf vfalfbfa;lblfbjaflbafblafbafl;bf aNdbd'qnd q'n

I struggle on a day to day basis^^

Soldato
That is not real typing though because it is just random words. Having to write on the fly at high speed sentences that makes sense is completely different than just repeating words on a laggy website.

I find these sites better, at least they use real sentences:

http://www.typeonline.co.uk/typingspeed.php
http://www.typingtest.com/

According to typingtest.com, they reckon the average is 36wpm. Anything above 50 is fast, below 20, slow.

I guess that makes me fast...

Last edited:
Associate
Here's what worked for me.

Just as a preface, I think the first step to take when learning to type faster is to IGNORE WHAT EVERYONE SAYS ABOUT TYPING STYLES. No "you have to use the homerow" or "pecking is dumb" - Everyone types in different ways. Also ignore people who shout "USE DVORAK!!1111" - Sure, Dvorak does have the possibility of allowing you to type quicker in a few years of daily use, but just stick to QWERTY for the moment. Whatever is most comfortable for you, stick with it.

The most important thing to do in my opinion is master typing without looking at your keyboard. I highly recommend sticking to just one keyboard in this time, whatever feels right for you. Personally I am using a Saitek Chiclet keyboard I got for $4 in a firesale. Almost 3 years old now. A good way to master this is simply to force yourself not to look at the keyboard! As ridiculous as this sounds, it's a good method for this. You will initially type slower but as you become more and more used to where keys are on the keyboard, you'll get up to your original speed.

Next most important thing is not to TRY to type fast. It's to type CONSISTENTLY FAST. What I mean by this is you'll see a lot of people typing very disjointedly, as in they'll burst 3-4 words, stop for a second or two, burst again, stop etc - as they are thinking of the phrase to write. I prefer not to think in phrases but in a continuing stream of conciousness and you need to train yourself to type as a continuing stream of conciousness. An excellent way to train yourself to do this is to type at a set pace that you are comfortable with without stopping. You'd be surprised just how quickly you can type even though it feels you're typing slower using this method. It's not about your burst speed with typing, it's about consistency.

I personally went from around 50wpm to close to 120wpm using the methods listed above.

Soldato
Untitled-23_zpse9db49e4.png

Its late at night, I'm very tired and this isn't my keyboard...

Anywho, the best way to learn is to have your left hands little finger on the 'a' key, and your right hands little finger on the ';' key. Then use each finger for the keys they are resting on, one up and one down. Your forefingers should also hit the keys in the arc immediately around them, with the forefinger of your dominant hand hitting the 'b' and 'y' keys.
Thumbs for space, right hand little finger for enter keys. After that just practice, but don't look at the keyboard at all whilst typing, that will just confuse and slow you down.

Associate
"Back in the day" when I was PC gaming all the freakin' time I would spam the hell out of forums (oldskool Wireplay, Jolt, MPZ, Barrysworld etc).

It got to the stage where the forum banter was better than the game. So I posted more.

And more.

And more.

Racking up 20,000+ posts inside of 2 years on some forums.

Did mean I picked up how to touch type, as you gotsta be quick!

Back
Top Bottom