Kitchen Knives

Soldato
I'm after a new set of kitchen knives and was wondering if anyone happened to be an expert?

I was hoping to get myself a set of 5 knives for everyday tasks in the kitchen. I'm after something solid rather than flashy, with a knife block as well.

Budget is £100-150 quid, any suggestions welcome.

Permabanned
You could get a decent set of Sabatiers for less than that. I've found my two sets have retained their edges brilliantly with minimal sharpening, blades have little if any flex and feel very well made. Think I paid ~£80 for a five set of Judges and and ~£30 for a three piece set of solid stainless steel Stellars.

Man of Honour
Don't listen to any off these people suggesting brands.
Knifes are very personal. Different rands suit different people.
Personally I hate the feel and grip of globals, they are also over rated on the quality standard.

Heckles and most German knifes are to heavy for me to use fine finesse.

You really need to get down a shop and try them out, see how they fit in your hands.
Combined with a bit of knowledge, for example do you have hot sweaty hands in the kitchen? If you do, metal handles of globals are awful.
Are you use to English knifes that have both sides of the blade beveled( v-edged)? In which case you probably won't get on with a lot of Japanese (but by no means all) as they only grind one edge of the blade (chisel edged)

Take a look here.
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18382614&highlight=Knifes

As for global /close thread. Not at all, not even remotely correct.

Soldato
Also, to add to everything.

Don't think you must get a "set". Realistically how many knives do you use? I use 2 mainly. I'd spend the 150 on 2 really nice knives. You standard chefs knives (I'm trying to remember what lengths I have...) 15cm and 17cm I think?
I'd go try some out though, feel them in your hand, the handle shape, weight, cutting style are all very personal.

Soldato
Go to your local Pro-Cook, try all the different knives there - they usually have meat and veg for you to try them out.

I personally went with 3 knives;
1) Chinese Meat Cleaver - Generic ones with a wooden handle, it does everything apart from...
2) Bread Knife - A simple Richardson Sheffield does me nicely
3) Fish Knife - Currently using another Richardson Sheffield, nice and bendy but will swap that when this cheapo goes blunt.

Listen to Glaucus, not everyone suits a set brand of knives.

Soldato
Definitely try before you buy.

I'd also echo the suggestion of only getting a couple (or three) really good knives rather than a block of average knives.

Sui

Sui

Soldato
Rather than making a new thread, I'm looking to spend about £50~ on a knife for my dad for his birthday, what's the best Chefs knife in that price bracket? Can prob go max £60. I have no clue where to look, closest Pro Cook place is an hour away :(

Associate
Stellar Sabatier knife set I bought for my friend, he says they're the best he's ever used. Personally i've had a Lion Sabatier knife for nearly 6 years now, great quality, great edge and good retention

Soldato
Also, to add to everything.

Don't think you must get a "set". Realistically how many knives do you use? I use 2 mainly. I'd spend the 150 on 2 really nice knives. You standard chefs knives (I'm trying to remember what lengths I have...) 15cm and 17cm I think?
I'd go try some out though, feel them in your hand, the handle shape, weight, cutting style are all very personal.
Couldn't agree more. I could happily chuck all but 2 of my knives, a ~20cm "vegetable chopper" and a pairing knife. I'd like a huge chef knife, but in all honesty I don't really need it.

Another vote for Globals here. Fit my hand perfectly, feel well balanced and sharpen up beautifully too.

Whatever you end up getting, you will never go back to cheap knives.

Back
Top Bottom