** RELEASE THE KRAKEN - DUE THIS WEEK **

Soldato
Anyone able to shed light on whether the X60 will fit the roof of the 650D? The NZXT compatibility page says it will only fit with "hole modification" but what does this mean? It also says that the hole spacing of the 650D is 20mm and that of the Kraken is 15mm. Also the spec page says the length of the radiator is 300mm! So I'm a little lost as to where I stand with this. Any tips much appreciated. (I'm using a 650D with an H100 on inside roof at the moment - a position and form factor that I'd like to stick with if another cooler is compatible).

It means the fan spacing in the 650D will not allow for the radiator to fit without new holes being cut.

EDIT: The space between the screws for each fan is 20mm on the 650D, and the space between the screws on the radiator will be 15mm. This means that they will not line up correctly so you would have to drill new holes in your 650D.

Last edited:
Associate
It means the fan spacing in the 650D will not allow for the radiator to fit without new holes being cut.

EDIT: The space between the screws for each fan is 20mm on the 650D, and the space between the screws on the radiator will be 15mm. This means that they will not line up correctly so you would have to drill new holes in your 650D.

Thanks. Most of the top of the 650d is grilled though so the radiator holes may line up with the grill holes in places? Or will one end of the radiator go past the grill the length being 300mm? I'm new to all this with no modding equipment so ... I'd prefer to go for one that fits though I have no idea how Thermaltake, Enermax and Coolermaster equivalents to the H100 compare.

Associate
I've been trying to justify a CPU water cooler. Are they generally worth that much money? Do they perform that much better than a mid range/high end air cooler?

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
Not significantly so. They are not worth twice the price of a high end air cooler.

Helios.

I notice that every closed liquid cooling thread i have currently open is being subjected to your badmouthing of the product.

I understand that you dont like closed loop coolers and that you may be in a position more so than other forum members to comment on such matters.

However, I feel that your comments are not only unwarranted [mainly in this case as you are commenting on an as yet unreleased product] but that you are confusing some customers who may be considering purchasing one of these units.

If you dont like the product. please explain why in more detail. perhaps post links to reviews to back up your opinions instead of slating the product and not reinforcing your view with any figures.

Soldato
Helios.

I notice that every closed liquid cooling thread i have currently open is being subjected to your badmouthing of the product.

I understand that you dont like closed loop coolers and that you may be in a position more so than other forum members to comment on such matters.

However, I feel that your comments are not only unwarranted [mainly in this case as you are commenting on an as yet unreleased product] but that you are confusing some customers who may be considering purchasing one of these units.

If you dont like the product. please explain why in more detail. perhaps post links to reviews to back up your opinions instead of slating the product and not reinforcing your view with any figures.

Sure.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/nzxt_kraken_x60_review,14.html

2 Degrees better than the NH-D14 in Extreme Mode with the fans operating at 2000RPM. Is that really worth twice the price of the NH-D14?

As you know, I have used a fair few ALC units and my views reflect my results. I don't make assumptions out of thin air.

I post in order to help people make better judgements so that they can decide for themselves if they want to part with their hard earned money or save it for something else..

ALC units have their purpose but unless people are restricted to these situations, air coolers are cheaper, quieter viable alternatives.

So I ask you, which part of my post is confusing?

The way I see it, you are trying to sell a product so obviously there will be bias towards selling a more expensive solution whereas I'm saying that a cheaper product may be a better alternative.

Last edited:

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
and your opinion is totally valid. this is not what i am questioning.
what i do take issue with is thread trashing, its the same story in the antec thread.

the same review you link goes on to say:
guru3D said:
If you are on the lookout for an easy to install, good looking and really nice performing product then most definitely consider this kit. We do feel that the 150 EUR needed might be a small step too far for a lot of you guys.

sure air coolers are potentially quieter, i run a megahalems on my system.
sure air coolers are better built in some respects, i have an axp100 on my htpc.

the fact remains that enclosed liquid cooling solutions outsell heatsinks at ocuk 2:1

this is tough to ignore and only enforces one point.

people don't always want the cheapest/best VFM and if a kraken offers 2'c improvement over a NHD14 then there are people that want that regardless of the noise output.

if anything, customers at OcUK surprise me time and time again with buying habits.
you may think the corsair h100i a total waste of time
reviewers may say it is mediocre at best
forum users may feed back horror stories of the product.

but the fact remains that the h100i outsells any other heatsink sku by a margin of 10:1 or more.

benchmarks don't reflect market trends, and whilst we do promote ALC coolers, we also have a massive heatsink range too for customers to choose from.

there is no bias towards any of the products i sell. if anything i would prefer a customer to buy a heatsink from a vendor that we get better pricing from rather than a corsair unit.
but i digress.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's partly my point though. I know ALC units outsell air coolers. My questioning is why? When everything points towards them not being quite as good as an equally priced air cooler, surely they shouldn't be selling quite as much. So is that due to people simply looking at the product and thinking, "oh it's water cooling, it must be good". This is what I'm trying to dispel.

I'm not going to recommend simply because they sell well, I'll recommend them based on performance. The problem we are having now is that you have all these companies are essentially selling the same product, so where is the competition coming from and where do Asetek innovate from there?

Concerning the Kraken specifically though, we now also have the Corsair H110 which is essentially the same thing but cheaper so how would someone justify the NZXT over the Corsair. These coolers if anything cause more confusion than anything else.

Helios, your sig link is broken again :)

Yeah the guys at Vortez keep changing the URL... :/

Soldato
Half the reason is brand name. Anything with a Corsair badge flies off the shelf. Look at Vengeance ram for example. It's not really any better than a lot of cheaper alternatives and the 'heatsinks' do nothing, yet it's pretty much the defacto choice for many.

With clc's, some know better, some don't. A lot of people go for it simply because they prefer the look compared to 'massive' aircoolers.
Then there are the ones who think aircoolers break motherboards, but that's another story...

Last edited:
Associate
For those of us with HTPCs, closed loop system are good as it effectively removes the need for one fan. I run a HTPC with a H60 with a Notua fan and a single Fractal design case 120mm fan. While playing back HD content the H60 will keep a A8-3870 to about 30c with the fans at about 400 rpm.

As for the Kraken and H110 the spacing of the fan mounts is different, therfore there is a market for both.

Soldato
Half the reason is brand name. Anything with a Corsair badge flies off the shelf. Look at Vengeance ram for example. It's not really any better than a lot of cheaper alternatives and the 'heatsinks' do nothing, yet it's pretty much the defacto choice for many.

With clc's, some know better, some don't. A lot of people go for it simply because they prefer the look compared to 'massive' aircoolers.
Then there are the ones who think aircoolers break motherboards, but that's another story...

You hit the nail on the head with that one.

And Bomag, I agree, the ALC units are brilliant for HTPCs or smaller cases where large air coolers are just not viable.

Back
Top Bottom