Wrong time to get a 360?

Soldato
I'm really considering getting back into gaming, I want to get a 360 but I'm worried I'll waste my money if I get one now. It seems that the new gen of consoles are only around the corner, should I hold off?

Soldato
You'll probably get 9-12 months of use out of it before the new consoles launch but I'd probably shop around for a used console rather than buy it new.

Associate
Hah, yeah i was gonna offer my one too, but forgot their is a MM. still so far to go! But as moothead2 said, you'd still get quite a few good months out of it. So yeah it would be worth it

Soldato
No one knows for definite when the new consoles will come out, how much they will cost (if that bothers you) or how good the launch line-up will be. Also, plenty of great consoles weren't so great for their first year or so, so that could add up to a lot of waiting. I'd say if you don't own a current gen console then the best buy would be a PS3 + PS+ sub. Plenty of good games for free.

Associate
The new consoles are going to be over £300, nearer £400.

There is no guarantee they will be backwards compatible.

If you haven't had a 360 in a while there is no reason not to get one, you will have a massive back catalogue to play.

Soldato
I only just bought a xbox360 last week..As you can pickup loads of games really cheap secondhand..

Where all the games for the new gen consoles are going cost you around £40each..:(

Last edited:
Associate
no it would not be the wrong time to get a 360, there are literally hundreds of great games for it, and the next one might not even run a disc drive, so you cannot get all the games for the 360 on the nextbox.

personally, I have a ps1, ps2, ps3, xbox 360, nes, snes, n64, gamecube, wii, wiiU, gameboy, gameboy advance, DS lite, 3DS, commodore 64, ancient atari.

and will be getting all the next gen consoles as well, but I am collecting them to have everyone of them so I am able to play them off one tv in my man cave when I move.

so, yes it is worth it, even just for the back catalogue

One

One

Soldato
no it would not be the wrong time to get a 360, there are literally hundreds of great games for it, and the next one might not even run a disc drive, so you cannot get all the games for the 360 on the nextbox.

personally, I have a ps1, ps2, ps3, xbox 360, nes, snes, n64, gamecube, wii, wiiU, gameboy, gameboy advance, DS lite, 3DS, commodore 64, ancient atari.

and will be getting all the next gen consoles as well, but I am collecting them to have everyone of them so I am able to play them off one tv in my man cave when I move.

so, yes it is worth it, even just for the back catalogue

Man cave? Geek pit.

Associate
I have the same query, i think ill be going for the current gen so i can enjoy the latest games plus a better price for the console and it'll run the up coming GTA series!

Also i really doubt the next gen's will use a different format media.

Caporegime
launch consoles are usually very expensive, they usually are never sold on their own, but in bundles only, forcing you to buy games, accessories and blu rays you do not want or need, to bump up the price and therefore their profits.

so even if a new console is launched at christmas time, usually the best time for a launch, most people will not buy until the summer, so you are looking at 16 months minimum, which imo is a long time, therefore not a waste of money buying a current gen console.

Soldato
Perfect time to get a 360, and I'd still buy a new one (there was a deal last week with Morrisons, they were selling a new Slim, 250GB version for £150.00).

With the back catalogue, Xbox Live and the fresh dashboard facelift it's had in recent months, now would prove to be a great time to buy the Xbox 360.

As others have rightly mentioned, there is very little in the way of information regarding the new consoles, price and backwards compatibility being two big factors. If you're a gadget freak and "must have the new console" then wait, or be prepared to fork out for two consoles this year.

If you're just after a great gaming experience for now, then I'd recommend buying one soon.

Caporegime
I'd get a PS3, at least you know Sony will continue to support it for another 5-10 years or so... when 360 came out Microsoft dropped the original Xbox like a lead balloon.

Soldato
OP
I've chose my monitor now, but after hearing that GTA has been delayed it's really swayed me against the decision. Maybe I should stick with just building a gaming PC...

Back
Top Bottom