Apple announces 128GB iPad with Retina display, available February 5th

Man of Honour
Apple announces 128GB iPad with Retina display, available February 5th starting at $799

Just as the rumors foretold, Apple has just anounced a 128GB version of its fourth-generation iPad with Retina display — the Wi-Fi model costs $799, while the Wi-Fi plus LTE model costs a whopping $929 — that's nearly as expensive as the base model MacBook Air. The new iPad model isn't available in the store yet, but Apple says it will be on sale as of February 5th. Unfortunately for iPad mini users craving huge amounts of storage, this new storage capacity is only available on the full-size iPad.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/29/3928066/apple-announces-128gb-ipad-with-retina-display

Anyone going for one? A grand! :eek:

Soldato
Wonder if this means 128GB iPhones and more importantly, iPod Touches. Probably not given them using power-user type examples as their reasoning for the release, which were quite iPad specific.

Permabanned
I think its great, I have a ipad2 32gb and am always having to delete content as soon as i watch it to make room for more, 128gb is just about right :) now do i get this one or wait for the full refresh in october :-s

Soldato
I think those who don't go over their 16GB (I'm one of them) probably adjust their usage either consciously or unconsciously to accommodate. You probably stream content rather than download it e.g. use Netflix as opposed to downloading from the iTunes store and don't think anything of it, the same way another person would not think anything of downloading entire collections to their higher capacity iPxx.

I think it's a complete and utter rip at that price though. Absolutely ridiculous price. No sale.

Soldato
I've got a 32GB iPad and that's definitely enough for me. So... it's a nice idea, but a not so nice price... and for that reason... I'm out. :p

Soldato
I just dont understand. The price is just crazy to make it a convenient suitable option.

Surely, for the money, you'd be better off buying a cellular 16gb and getting cloud storage? or if you're at home, just use home sharing from a pc/nas? (if that's possible).

Or, just going the extra 100 and buying the MBA?

Caporegime
Then they have the iphone and pad/mini all around the same time. You would think they would want more spread than that. Limits their sales because of a spend all in one quarter.

I was hoping for a new pad in march/april :(

Soldato
I just dont understand. The price is just crazy to make it a convenient suitable option.

Surely, for the money, you'd be better off buying a cellular 16gb and getting cloud storage? or if you're at home, just use home sharing from a pc/nas? (if that's possible).

Or, just going the extra 100 and buying the MBA?
You can buy portable wifi hard drives which are comparable with Apple devices.

http://www.businessinsider.com/best-wifi-hard-drives-2011-8?op=1

500 GB Seagate GoFlex for £150

Soldato
Rumours are saying October now :( Bit disappointing... I was hoping to have the Retina iPad Mini by March :(
Then they have the iphone and pad/mini all around the same time. You would think they would want more spread than that. Limits their sales because of a spend all in one quarter.

I was hoping for a new pad in march/april :(

They've only just released the 4th gen and you want another one?! :p

They need to have a quantifiable improvement in at least one way.

They got away with the iPad 3 having the same performance as the 2 by introducing the retina display (even with the added weight). Now that the 4th one was released just six (ish) months later the 3rd was obviously a stop-gap.

They're limited by how quickly they can iterate on the A*x chips to determine performance.
They're limited on battery technology for increasing life.
They're limited by the display technology as to whatever minor improvements they can eke out of there.

And so keeping that in mind, I don't think we'll see another generation until the next A*x chip (and the bump in performance and efficiency that will bring) is ready. And I doubt that'll be until summer at the very earliest.

Maybe having new iPhone (5S), iPad (proper 5th gen) and iPad mini (proper 2nd gen possibly with retina (we can hope ;))) in the same quarter will be too much for our wallets and they'll want to spread them out a bit. Even so, I only see the iPhone and iPad mini as being able to be brought forward by virtue of the vanilla A* chips being developed before their X counterpart.

Yikes :o I've been keeping that rant in for a while and certainly didn't think that this thread would be the one to prompt me to get it out :p

Last edited:
Soldato
If you read their blurb;
“With more than 120 million iPads sold, it’s clear that customers around the world love their iPads, and everyday they are finding more great reasons to work, learn and play on their iPads rather than their old PCs,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. “With twice the storage capacity and an unparalleled selection of over 300,000 native iPad apps, enterprises, educators and artists have even more reasons to use iPad for all their business and personal needs.”

Seems pretty clear it's marketed more at the professional market using iPads.

Soldato
Apple, time to update the iPod Classic with this 128GB drive please.

Why? Higher price, lower capacity, and no real benefit overall. Yes, shock resistance will be higher, however little benefit aside from that.

Oh, and also that nobody buys the classic anymore because, while it is still a good MP3 player (and one of the most complete products of its kind), that market segment is now pretty much dead.

Associate
Why? Higher price, lower capacity, and no real benefit overall. Yes, shock resistance will be higher, however little benefit aside from that.

Oh, and also that nobody buys the classic anymore because, while it is still a good MP3 player (and one of the most complete products of its kind), that market segment is now pretty much dead.

It would be faster, lighter, thinner and the battery life would be longer. I'd think those would be worthy upgrades overall, I wouldn't mind paying as much as the 64GB Touch for that. There are still lots of people who just want an iPod that can carry all of their music without the need to use iOS or a touch screen. Personally I prefer splitting my devices from my phone since the phone stores photos, apps and video while the Classic carries all of my music. It's also the most hassle free Apple product for music management since it works perfectly with MediaMonkey and other apps.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom