Dry Rubs

Soldato
Just wondering what some good general dry rubs are?

I usually just mix a random lot of spices and herbs when I feel like dry rubbing chicken drumsticks/thighs or whatever, so I thought to save having to make a mix every time I want it, just make a batch and store it in a jar.

Soldato
I use a really nice one called Raz el Hanout. It's Moroccan mix and seriously good on chicken (either rubbed on and grilled or in a tagine) & fish amongst other things.

There are loads of recipes for it, but this one is the one I use and it'll make up a jar of the stuff which will last for ages. They're all spices you'll most likely have in your cupboards, but you will need a spice mill or coffee grinder. I don't think a pestle and mortar would be able to grind up some of the big spices fine enough.

1 tbsp fennel seeds
1 tbsp coriander seeds
1 tbsp black mustard seeds
1 tbsp cumin seeds
5 dried bay leaves
1 cinnamon stick
3 star anise
1 tsp saffron strands
12 cardamom pods (seeds only)
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp groud cloves
1 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 a nutmeg, grated

• Toast the whole seeds lightly in a dry frying pan for a couple of mins until fragrant
  • Add to a spice (or coffee) grinder along with the cinnamon stick, star anise, saffron, cardamom seeds & bay leaves and blend to a powder.
  • Mix with the powdered spices and grated nutmeg, then store in an airtight container.

Keeps for months :)

Soldato
OP
In the end, I just used DcD's carolina rub (thanks!) and added a tiny bit of Cajun spice and chili flakes. I didn't realise how much all of those ingredients actually makes! Made about 300ml, so it didn't all fit into my 250ml far! Thankfully had a empty spice shaker thing.

They're all spices you'll most likely have in your cupboards

I have 4 out of the 15 things you've listed :p

Back
Top Bottom