Foam Rolling - Running

Soldato
My understanding was that it was just the tear down of the muscle repairing and stretching out from new growth that caused the DOMS effect, not sure what any kind of message could help, know even a few BB-er that will get Deep Tissue messages as this can break down the muscle bellies further ( as well as help with any scarring) in encourage growth.

Man of Honour
DOMS can be reduced by foam rolling as it helps to bring blood to the lactic acid crystals that form in your muscle tissue - but this is only true if you also drink a lot of water to flush it away as well. It won't remove DOMS completely - but it feels good doing it when you have them! :D

Soldato
OP
My understanding was that it was just the tear down of the muscle repairing and stretching out from new growth that caused the DOMS effect, not sure what any kind of message could help, know even a few BB-er that will get Deep Tissue messages as this can break down the muscle bellies further ( as well as help with any scarring) in encourage growth.

From wiki (I know but still)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_onset_muscle_soreness said:
The soreness disappears in about 72 hours after appearing. If treatment is desired, any measure that increases blood flow to the muscle, such as low-intensity work, massage, hot baths, or a sauna visit may help somewhat.[16] Immersion in cool or icy water, an occasionally recommended remedy, was found to be ineffective in alleviating DOMS in one 2011 study,[23] but effective in another.[24]
Counterintuitively, continued exercise may temporarily suppress the soreness. Exercise increases pain thresholds and pain tolerance. This effect, called exercise-induced analgesia, is known to occur in endurance training (running, cycling, swimming), but little is known about whether it also occurs in resistance training. There are claims in the literature that exercising sore muscles appears to be the best way to reduce or eliminate the soreness, but this has not yet been systematically investigated.[25]

KaHn

Man of Honour
My understanding of it is like a deep tissue massage, just read some things that it doesn't work but I will go on the recommendations of the (many) guys here over a random article, it may not work exactly the same for me but for 20 quid its worth a shot :)

KaHn

Read the mobility thread, there are loads of examples of it working.

Soldato
I can't recommend foam rollering enough, especially to runners. It goes so much further than stretching or golf ball massage (I use a golf ball to loosen my quads sometimes) can. The more you do it, the more you feel the effect and the less painful it gets. Try rolling it up your ITB... YOWCH!!!!!

My physio always tells me that you can't do yourself any harm with the foam roller or self massage. Just concentrate on the spots that feel tight. I time myself so that I don't wimp out because of the pain :)

Soldato
OP
Started this last night and legs seem to be a bit better this morning, will continue it and see how it goes :)

also, Lostkat, haven't seen you on here for a while :)

KaHn

Soldato
You can do a spinal reset if you're feeling brave!

It's great for hitting the Traps/Rhombs, with both your elbows together infront of your chest and also arms outstrecthed above your head (parralell to the floor). You can also change the angle of your body so you're at a slight angle to the floor to really butcher your traps:cool:

Soldato
OP
I'm basically concentrating on my legs at the moment, my arms/back/chest dont really hurt from climbing, if I start doing additional work I'll look in to that.

KaHn

Man of Honour
Balls in and around my glutes/shoulders and whatnot are fine - I can take that. :eek: :D

We have the blue rumble roller in our gym and it's pants for anything other than massive shoulder knots, so might investigate its harder sibling if you rate it. :)

Thanks for the info. :)

Man of Honour
I use the hockey ball for my piriformis and my TFL - so much pain.

Great for deep in the traps too. However, the rumble roller works well as it really gets deep into the muscle tissue - it's a masochistic sort of pleasure.

Man of Honour
I use the hockey ball for my piriformis and my TFL - so much pain.

That little **** piriformis deserves everything it gets: if I just look at a squat rack it tightens up.

Great for deep in the traps too. However, the rumble roller works well as it really gets deep into the muscle tissue - it's a masochistic sort of pleasure.

Yeah - my problem with even the current 'firm' roller at the gym is it just doesn't hurt enough, but I'm not quite 'ard enough to roll up and down on a golf ball yet.

I had my 6 D-cell maglite out the other night to try and use that... :lame:

Man of Honour
That little **** piriformis deserves everything it gets: if I just look at a squat rack it tightens up.

Tell me about it! :D

Yeah - my problem with even the current 'firm' roller at the gym is it just doesn't hurt enough, but I'm not quite 'ard enough to roll up and down on a golf ball yet.

I had my 6 D-cell maglite out the other night to try and use that... :lame:

Hockey ball / golf ball - just get it done - the black roller is pretty hard so it does generate a little bit of tear duct saturation.

I'm yet to find a good way to attack the piriformis, any tips?

Leg crossed over the knee at the ankle, on the crossed glute, hockey ball with all your weight. Roll. Whince. Cry - and laugh at the PF so that i can die in the face.

Edit: just found this:

http://tennisfitnesslove.com/wp-con...Sciatica-Or-Piriformis-Syndrome-Treatment.jpg

That explains what I was trying to say.

Back
Top Bottom