**The Dragon Age Origins Thread **

Soldato
I started playing this again the other day and am trying out this mod- http://www.dragonagenexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2040

Probably one of the best mods I have ever seen, there are still a few problems with it, but nothing major so far, I have barely scratched the surface tbh.

The effort put in to it is amazing!

This is brilliant, it is almost a total conversion, but keeping the original game in tact.

Last edited:
Soldato
I can't believe how professionally made this mod is!

Fully voice acted with hundreds of new NPC's
A fully voiced new companion
120 new areas including a city bigger than any in the vanilla game
some nice new skills and talents
Nice new armour.
And most impressively it all fits in seamlessly with the vanilla game.

I don't think I have ever played a mod of this quality before. It has been an excellent addition to the game(which I am replaying afterall).

If anyone is thinking of replaying this game at any point, I couldn't reecommend this mod highly enough

PS. I can see how the makers have tried to revisit the atmosphere and everything of Baldur's Gate as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Holy Thread Revival Batman!

I just bought the Ultimate edition even though i got the origins and awakening already. So basically just bought it for the DLC, which i hear most of them are average:p
Ive completed the game before and loved it from start to finish and i just feel like playing an epic game.

Just reading this thread again reminds me how awesome this game is, hopefully my dl will be done by tomorrow morning:)

Soldato
OP
Well my day was eventfull, gym in the morning then according to my save on the game is 8hrs 47mins now im off to bed:p:D
Cant wait to play tomorrow, probably all day again. I just love a good rpg, especially one that gets you so wrapped up in the story that you must carry on and not even notice time going by.

Soldato
Bump for the thread as Mr Krugga asked about mods for the game and I have just paled through it:)

First off, I recommend using DAO. It is a very easy to use installer, similar to NMM, but you don't have to worry about load order or anything.

Here is a pic of mine

P3CVE.png

The main one is Dragon age Graphics Enhancement, which was only recently released, but which greatly improves things.
For textures the only pack is JB3textures.
Dragon Age Redesigned greatly improves facial textures and generally tidies things up.

Then some of the better gameplay improving mods which I would not play without are-

Extra Dog slot-changes the dog companion so that he is summonable and doesn't take up a companion place
Improved Atmosphere- adds more party banter, some small changes to characters such as what armour they wear for cutscenes etc.
Advanced tactics- gives you more tactics options and variables
Armour of the Devout- great armour which I sued a lot
Morrigan Restoration pack- adds some missing morrigan dialogue and options which were cut from the game.
Universal Dye Kit- allows you to change the colours of your armour
Dialogue tweaks- essential
combat tweaks
Forced Deathblows- allows you to change how often you do finishing moces
Personal annoyance remover- removes circles around players feet, enchantment effects etc.

Also, if this is not your first playthrough, I would definitely recommend some quest mods as they are really well done.

In particular, Quests and Legends which is one of the best mods I have ever played. It adds so much you would not believe it, and more than quests, it adds a new fully voiced companion and loads of new abilities, items and crucially it adds a character in Ostragar who teaches you to multiclass which adds a new dimension ot the game

Also some really good quest mods are -
Pints and Quartz- adds a tavern, with NPCs who give you 2 or 3 new quests
Ancient Elven Ruins
The Bloodworks- also has new abilities and companions, but I do not know how it works with QAL, as I have not used them both at the same time.
Infested Grounds- another fairly new quest mod.
Alley of Murders- more quests in Denerim

Last edited:
Soldato
No problem. Like I said, I played through the game recently, so it is all still fresh. JBtextures iirc was a nightmare for some reason(I still had it installed from a year ago so can't really remember what I did tbh).

The mod community is much smaller than TES/FO games for example, but the quality is often very high, and there is more cooperation between authors to get things compatible.

There is also a Natural Bodies mod which is very good as well, but be careful which one you choose as there are many scenes throughout the game where you are "naked" so instead of wearing underwear for these scenes, as happens in vanilla, it can look ridiculous if you choose the naked version:p

Soldato
Bump! :)

Got the Ultimate edition in the Steam Xmas sale. I missed this game when it came out due to various "life stuff" - but now I'm 35 hours in and can honestly say it's one of the best games I've ever played. My first RPG was Dragontalk on the Spectrum in 1986 and I've played most of the big ones since then. For me, DA:O is the pinnacle.

That's all. Just needed to gush :)

Associate
Yep I bought it all (again) during the Steam sale, finished my play through a couple of weeks ago, it's a great modern rpg with a classic feel.

Just don't make the same mistake I did and go straight onto Dragon Age 2 or the high won't last long :)

Soldato
Good to see some love for this game again. It is one of my favourite games ever, and I probably considr it the best RPG ever. I have played through it quiet a few times. The dlc is good as well imo, especially Awakenings which I thought was excellent.

Just do yourself a favour Curio....forget that Dragon Age 2 even exists

Soldato
I probably considr it the best RPG ever.

Even better than KOTOR, which is saying a lot :)

It's probably about time I had another play through. I've played through all the origins, and a good mix off the classes to boot, but I'm not sure what I want to try now (first play was a Female Human Noble Warrior). Might just play them all again :)

Soldato
Even better than KOTOR, which is saying a lot :)

It's probably about time I had another play through. I've played through all the origins, and a good mix off the classes to boot, but I'm not sure what I want to try now (first play was a Female Human Noble Warrior). Might just play them all again :)

I linked to a mod in this thread called Quests and Legends which adds a lot of quests, areas, skills and a new playable character to the main campaign. It also allows you to change classes or multi-class when you reach Ostegaar, so you could play as a rogue-mage, Warrior-Mage or whatever. There are also stand-alone mods which do this. It is excellent. I recommend it!

Back
Top Bottom