Moving to Canada for 12 months - IEC Working Holiday Visa

Soldato
Amazing, thanks for all your help and advice on this! Myself and the OH are planning on applying as soon as the visa's for this year are open again and hoping to be out by July 2013 :) All of your links and tips are going to be so beneficial to us! Thanks a lot dude :)

July 2013 is when I aim to arrive, where abouts are you looking to go?

Soldato
IEC website has been updated finally.

Says "Please note that the 2013 IEC initiative has not yet opened for applications. It will open before February 1, 2013, and more information on the online process will be made available on this website. Stay tuned!"

Just saw this :D At least it's been updated :p Roll on 1st Feb :)

Going to Vancouver, Sept 2013 hopefully!

Soldato
I got it with good intentions of going but wanted to go when I had a job lined up - sort of fruitless in that regard so I lost heart. Would probably be best to actually go out there (Vancouver) and hunt for jobs in person but there's obviously a decent element of risk with that and I'd be leaving a relatively secure but boring job here to do that. Certainly a first world problem to have.

Also found out that even if you don't step foot in Canada, having the welcome letter still counts as one of the two times you can be eligible for the IEC.

Soldato
OP
Unfortunately that is the case.

What are the chances you'll head out there then? Or do you think you'll just give it a miss?

We're going out with no jobs and don't plan to properly look until we even get there.

Associate
It's old school out here, jobs are all about networking. Canadian business is still working out how to hire via the internet outside of the major employers. They like face to face, so if applying from the UK ask about a skype conversation.

Also you'll need some cold weather gear unless you're wimping out and going to BC.

20130122163109.jpg

20130122163120.jpg

20130122163225.jpg

Soldato
OP
WOW! Now that is seriously cold! Fortunately we're heading to BC :D

Yeah I've read that a lot actually, we'll definitely be applying for our first jobs (ie. the ones to tide us over until we find proper ones) in person and following up in person if we don't hear anything back.

Good idea about Skype calls as well. I wasn't planning on applying for jobs before I went but I'd just finished my resume and I saw one on LinkedIn that I liked so I applied for it on the off chance.

Permabanned
I am currently in Canada on my 2nd years IEC visa. If any of you have any questions please ask!

I applied for 2 IEC visa's before I left Canada which made everything easier as I didn't have to apply again when I was already here

Currently living in Mississauga which is just outside of Toronto but moving into downtown Toronto in a Condo on Feb 1st!

word of Advise, DO NOT go with Bunac...complete waste of money!

Last edited:
Soldato
I am currently in Canada on my 2nd years IEC visa. If any of you have any questions please ask!

I applied for 2 IEC visa's before I left Canada which made everything easier as I didn't have to apply again when I was already here

Currently living in Mississauga which is just outside of Toronto but moving into downtown Toronto in a Condo on Feb 1st!

word of Advise, DO NOT go with Bunac...complete waste of money!

I was looking at that area of Toronto also, what work do you do? I am looking to get out there in July.

Can you apply for 2 IEC's in advance??

Soldato
OP
I was looking at that area of Toronto also, what work do you do? I am looking to get out there in July.

Can you apply for 2 IEC's in advance??

You can apply for one, then apply for a second in the following year's programme before you activate your first.

For example, I could apply for a second one when the applications open next week, even though I haven't activated the one I already have now.

Soldato
OP
The UK IEC page was updated, but it looks like they missed the 1st February date they'd set themselves for opening the applications. I can only assume that the amount the Irish pages/application was hammered has made them look into ways of stopping a similar thing happening when the UK applications open up.

In other news, we leave NEXT MONTH!! Scary!

Associate
The UK IEC page was updated, but it looks like they missed the 1st February date they'd set themselves for opening the applications. I can only assume that the amount the Irish pages/application was hammered has made them look into ways of stopping a similar thing happening when the UK applications open up.

In other news, we leave NEXT MONTH!! Scary!

Bloody hell, I hope they come up with something better - I don't want to miss out on a place! Fingers crossed eh, looks like I'll be checking the page 10 times a day until its open :p It's just the IEC letter I need now for my application.

Back
Top Bottom