BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
Plusnet Fibre Unlimited - Would definitely recommend, I have had constant max speeds and 0 traffic shaping is great. Been with them for 12 years and they have never let us down.

Associate
Ok, what the hell is this....

80ca9a072bc708a9905f92c61db0c3e2-03-02-2013.png

Cookie for anyone who can spot something strange with this graph.

This is the last 24 hours.
Something has happened last night between 6pm and 7pm, because my connection has never looked that stable before.
You wanna know what the strangest thing about it is? It was around 7pm last night when I signed up for BT infinity...
coincidence or what!? I'll keep an eye on it today and see if it goes back to "normal"

Having said that though, I still couldn't watch live streams, despite how stable the connection looks.

Soldato
The HH3 is a pile of ****

I use a Neatgear WNDR37AV and it's great.

Look at the asus series of router such as the n56u

Asus RT-N56U Black Diamond Dual-Band Wireless-N Gigabit Router

- ORDERED :)

Certainly looks good, check all boxes, will mean I don't have to have my HH3 AND big 24 post gigabit switch up, so will make the office nice & tidy!

I assume the USB sharing works on pen drives as well as other external hard drives.

Seems to be conflicting reports on the download manager support usenet logins & nzbs, but if it does, its a bonus :)

Associate
Asus RT-N56U Black Diamond Dual-Band Wireless-N Gigabit Router

- ORDERED :)

Certainly looks good, check all boxes, will mean I don't have to have my HH3 AND big 24 post gigabit switch up, so will make the office nice & tidy!

I assume the USB sharing works on pen drives as well as other external hard drives.

Seems to be conflicting reports on the download manager support usenet logins & nzbs, but if it does, its a bonus :)
Do you still need to use the HH3 as a modem connected to the ASUS router? or can you completely replace the HH3?

I would rather use a router of my choosing than the HH3 if possible (im assuming I will get a HH3, when the engineer comes to install my Infinity service)

Soldato
Thats the one :)

As far as I know its a straight swap, but you don't get the BTFON option anymore (oh noes!!)

I'm sure someone else will confirm just to let you know fully though :)

Associate
BTFON would be getting disabled anyway. Im not interested in using free wifi wherever I go. Thats why I pay for mobile data :p

So what routers are recommended for replacing the home hub? I like the look of the ASUS routers. Any routers that use DD-WRT firmware?

Associate
My sync is near perfect, basically I get 83 down and 35 up, which gets capped obviously to 79999/20000, but here's the rub - every so often I lost routing, sites become very unresponsive/slow. If I reboot the modem it seems to fix it. ( HG612 3b).
so, is it the modem, or BT's network? anyone else get this?

my line stats:

Connection Status
Help
Mode VDSL2
Traffic type PTM
DSL synchronization status Up
DSL up time 41969

Line Status
Help
Downstream Upstream
Attainable rate (kbit/s) 82252 35366
SNR margin (dB) 6.6 15.8