MacBook Pro and external hdd for games

Associate
I am considering buying a 15" retina MacBook Pro and was doing some reading around and discovered there is no option to upgrade the MBP with an additional hdd. *shakes fist*

I work away from home a lot and would like to use it for my own software development, movies and games while away.

I'm guessing the internal SSD won't be enough storage for me in the long run, especially after sticking a Win 7 copy on there as well.

I'm thinking about buying an external USB3 hard drive and installing my games to there or sticking a Momentus XT in a caddy. Does anyone have any experience of this or know if things will run ok?

Any help or advice is much appreciated. Never owned a mac before and was looking forward to it until now! :p

Associate
I have installed Windows 8 on my rmbp (512GB) and store all of my photos and videos on one portable 500GB HDD (firewire) and all of my games on a desktop western digital 1TB USB3 HDD (as I only game when at home) and it runs absolutely fine. I would advise you to do the same otherwise you will find yourself running out of room seriously quickly!

Associate
OP
I have installed Windows 8 on my rmbp (512GB) and store all of my photos and videos on one portable 500GB HDD (firewire) and all of my games on a desktop western digital 1TB USB3 HDD (as I only game when at home) and it runs absolutely fine. I would advise you to do the same otherwise you will find yourself running out of room seriously quickly!

Thanks! Just what I wanted to hear :)

Back
Top Bottom