Moving to Canada for 12 months - IEC Working Holiday Visa

Soldato
I really hope they open soon, my flights to the USA are April 3rd so would like it all sorted before I fly out there.

Does anyone know if my Police Check having a different address will be an issue, I got it December 17th at an old address but now at my parents for a few months; I hope it's ok as the Police Check has my passport number on so should be ok.

Just not sure, and if it's no good while it's still closed could order another one now.

Ta

Associate
That's a point - anyone know where I can get two proofs of address? I've not had any bills or anything since moving home from uni last June.

You need two for the police check, and they've got to be dated in the last six months. Any ideas anyone?

Edit: Never mind. Found some stuff in the end.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I really hope they open soon, my flights to the USA are April 3rd so would like it all sorted before I fly out there.

Does anyone know if my Police Check having a different address will be an issue, I got it December 17th at an old address but now at my parents for a few months; I hope it's ok as the Police Check has my passport number on so should be ok.

Just not sure, and if it's no good while it's still closed could order another one now.

Ta

Have you got your LOI yet, or are you applying when they open this time around?

If you have your LOI already I wouldn't worry, you don't need to take it with you when you go to Canada.

Are you still heading to Vancouver at any point?

Soldato
Do you think there is ever a chance they may run out of the quota super quickly? I keep checking the page, but it looks like they've still not opened up applications - I'm just worried I might miss my chance :eek:

Soldato
OP
Normally I'd say no, as it took around 4 months for them all to run out last year. However the Irish IEC has already run out of spaces (they had around 1,000 more than the UK had last year) and it only opened on 1st February.

I'd just check it twice a day if you can to make sure you don't miss your chance.

Soldato
Normally I'd say no, as it took around 4 months for them all to run out last year. However the Irish IEC has already run out of spaces (they had around 1,000 more than the UK had last year) and it only opened on 1st February.

I'd just check it twice a day if you can to make sure you don't miss your chance.

Wowzers :eek: Right oh :p Thanks for the heads up :)

Soldato
OP
Should I be concerned if I haven't got my police check yet?

Have you applied for one?

If not, I wouldn't be too concerned as I think this year the police check is provided after the initial stage one application. When you do stage one I think it effectively reserves your spot whilst you do the other bits. Having said that I'd apply for your police certificate ASAP if I were you.

Soldato
OP
People keep saying it's expensive, and obviously the evidence is there to suggest that it is the case, however we've been apartment hunting online for ages now and the prices seem fairly similar to what we're paying here. A lot of rentals include bills, and with bills taken into account we'll probably end up paying the same. Tunbridge Wells is quite an expensive part of the UK I think.

Our 1 bed flat here is £775 a month, plus £163 council tax, then other bills, and it quickly adds up to around £1,000 a month, around $1,500, which should see us get a nice enough place in Vancouver.

As for day to day things, I've seen some comparisons of groceries and things on various blogs, and some things are cheaper whilst some things are more expensive.

I could be completely wrong of course, but at the moment we're not worried about how expensive it is or isn't at all.

We don't have jobs to go to, but we have enough money to keep us going for a while.

Associate
July 2013 is when I aim to arrive, where abouts are you looking to go?

Vancouver - Either in Kitsilano or Burnaby as we have friends in both :)

I am cacking myself about applying whenever the IEC finally does open for the UK. I have been waiting for so long and I dont want it going belly up by the allocation being eaten up as soon as it opens, hence checking at least 5 times a day... seriously.

I hope we can all get our applications through alright when the time comes! >__< *fingers crossed*

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Vancouver - Either in Kitsilano or Burnaby as we have friends in both :)

I am cacking myself about applying whenever the IEC finally does open for the UK. I have been waiting for so long and I dont want it going belly up by the allocation being eaten up as soon as it opens, hence checking at least 5 times a day... seriously.

I hope we can all get our applications through alright when the time comes! >__< *fingers crossed*

Good luck mate, I'm sure you'll be fine if you get in there when they open. Are you heading out as soon as you get them?

We leave in 37 days, getting quite scary now :/

Associate
Good luck mate, I'm sure you'll be fine if you get in there when they open. Are you heading out as soon as you get them?

We leave in 37 days, getting quite scary now :/

Haha I bet! It'll be awesome though :)

We're aiming to be out this year around July / August time to give us a bit more time to save :)

Where abouts in Vancouver are you and the other half going to live? :)

Associate
We looked at Vancouver and mrs deej flew out to recce. She thought the city was beautiful but stated it felt more like being in Asia at times. Also she noticed the huge amount of homeless downtown. Being the warmest city in Canada does have some drawbacks.

As we needed a fair bit of space for us, and any visitors we may get we had to look a fair distance out. We thought Burnaby and Coquitlam\Port Coquitlam looked very bland (like Mississauga in the GTA) so had sort of settled on Squamish to base ourselves (halfway between Vancouver and Whistler).

Unfortunately that didn't work out so we ended up in Ontario. It's a shame and we may move around the country again in the future.

Calgary was our first choice and we were ready to go 3 years ago, but couldn't sell our house in the UK to release funds.

Back
Top Bottom