Cancel the Nexus 4 and wait?

Associate
Ok, I currently have the GS2, rooted running JB 4.2.1 and in a month or 2 my contract is up so I have ordered a Nexus 4 from Google and planning on using a SIM from GiffGaff. But! looking at the new 5" 1080p phones coming out, should I cancel my Nexus 4 order and wait till a really good GS4 deal? Or maybe the Experia Z?

Soldato
gs4 deal? there's no gs4 yet and there wont be a gs4 for quite some time:) XPERIA Z is a top end phone and im sure the screen/HW will keep up with GS4 no problems :) if i was you i would get the sony, i wanted an n4 but lately im not so sure.. 5" is the perfect size for me and that is what i want :)

Associate
OP
gs4 deal? there's no gs4 yet and there wont be a gs4 for quite some time:) XPERIA Z is a top end phone and im sure the screen/HW will keep up with GS4 no problems :) if i was you i would get the sony, i wanted an n4 but lately im not so sure.. 5" is the perfect size for me and that is what i want :)

Yes, I think the 5" is the perfect size. I know the GS4 isnt out yet but when my contract is up, it might not be that far off.

Soldato
That's what I've done. With the delays it's only a few months until the next gen phones are available, if only it was possible to get a Nexus 4 in November I'd probably have got one.

Associate
There will be no "next gen phones" (i.e. those with the newly announced Snapdragon 600/800 and Tegra 4 SoC) till probably the end of the year at the earliest. The new HTC flagship is rumoured to have 2GB RAM and an S4 Pro (same as the N4), the new Xperia Z has the same specs, and I bet the S4 will have a similar specs, or more CPU cores or something which will make negligible difference.

Soldato
Yeah, wait until your contract finishes.

We don't know if there's going to be any game changers in the next month or two. Someone could finally nail a foldable/pull out OLED design, why bother with a stupid* 5" phone when you could have something much more pocketable with larger screen?

Until then I'd still take a Nexus 4 over the Xperia Z by miles. :)

*Yeah they are :p Larger screens are awesome but they're not properly portable. Just buy something Note sized if you want something bigger and be done with it. :D

Soldato
Xperia Z on JB with a AOSP theme over a Nexus 4 for me anyday.

We all know the GS4 will be Android phone of the year like the last 2 years ;):p

Anyone still think that we might get a Nexus 5 1080p phone this summer at I/O?

Last edited:
Soldato

We all know the GS4 will be Android phone of the year like the last 2 years ;):p

More likely October than at I/O, although I'd very happily be wrong about that :D.

Caporegime
I also would rather have the nexus 4 over the xperia Z any day of the week. The xperia Z might have 1080P screen, better camera etc. however, even worse viewing angles and the display is probably even more washed out plus it is a sony phone thus crap software/skin, which will take forever to get the latest updates and there probably won't be a large following at XDA = no thanks! :p

Even though the viewing angles will probably be a lot worse than any other LCD based phone? :D :p ;)

I would be extremely surprised if google release another nexus phone as soon as that especially considering people are only really getting their nexus devices now. Will most likely be another tablet to replace the nexus 7.

Last edited:
Soldato
I haven't seen the Z's screen yet so can't comment on it's viewing angles - I certainly know the Nexus 4 screen is far from perfect though :p

Yes I expect a new phone from Google on their usual 12 month cycle - but we never know:D

Caporegime
There are quite a few videos up on youtube now and the viewing angles look better than previous sony phones, but still pretty poor imo especially when viewed from the top side, granted you can't properly judge from them but it does give you a good idea as to the screen colours etc.

And of course it can vary for each device!

I would have had a nexus 4 in a heartbeat if the screen was SAMOLED and had a camera as good as the one series, galaxy S3 :( Still can't decide what to do and I "really" don't need a new phone anyway and I don't care about 4.2 at all, so just going to wait until May for KLP and if that is really good (which it should be.....) then the nexus 4 it is (unless a better phone comes out within a month or and is running KLP already [doubt it])!

It would be great if google did release another nexus phone at that time, 1080P SAMOLED, water resistant, top end camera! :D A lot of nexus 4 owners wouldn't be best pleased :p

Caporegime
I'm in market for a new phone but do not want the n4 at all. Nothing about it appeals to me.

I'm waiting for the M7 I think. HTC was one of the only phone brands I have had that I had no issues with.
Would have loved the Motorola maxx hd but didn't come out over here

I would cancel if i had ordered the n4

Back
Top Bottom