Which is the bank that you bank with?

Soldato
Currently Lloyds as my main account as they pay 4% interest on balances up to £6k - which is more than any savings a/c around...

When this good deal ends, i'll look around and change banks again.

We have been historically far too loyal about who we bank with, it was once said we change house more times than we change banks. Thankfully it is a lot easier and quicker now to change, and will only get easier with the new legislation coming in.

Santander

I dont get the hate people have for the website however. Ive used lloyds, nat west, halifax and a few other smaller building societies and its certainly no worse and in a lot of cases better.

Again I rate them quite highly compared to the others on customer service and have had no issues, but then I am competent financially so do not fall into the pits and traps that people how rate banks badly seem to fall into.
The also offer pretty close to market leading products most of the time, decent interest rates on savings. ISAs, loans etc so they are by far easier to use if you want a simple bank to use. Historically Barclays, Nat west etc have offered terrible savings rates so you needed to use multiple banks/building societies in order to not be getting mugged on rates.

Soldato
Halifax - give me £5 every month I put £1000 in. Allows me to rename my bank accounts online (so I have a "Car" account and a "Leisure" account".
Natwest - online system detected a virus on my computer and locked my account when I logged in - very good.
Lloyds - staff have been very helpful in branch, I like their online system too.
Virgin Money - got a good rate on my ISA. Don't like their online system but had no problems with them.

Overall I've found Halifax to be best. I was originally with Yorkshire some years ago, they were appalling.

Soldato
Lloyds TSB. No complaints with any service, but due to my financial situation improving and having no debt with them, am moving to Co-op due to Lloyds in general as a bank being crap and having to be bailed out.

Commissario
First opened an Alliance & Leicester account when I was young, had to call them more as I got older for various requests/issues and their team of scouse ladies were always great. Now that they've migrated over to Santander, their online banking app is (in my opinion) not as good, and the level of telephone support has gone downhill too.
I opened a Natwest student account in 2008 and they've always been great.

HSBC & National Savings and Investments(Post Office) 10/10 for both neither have stolen my monies and have notified me whenever suspect payments have been made even ones I actually made only had one case of fraud which was picked up quickly and the payment cancelled before it was processed.

Soldato
NatWest - Fantastic
Alliance and Leicester or whatever they're called now, not checked my account in years.
Česká spořitelna Expat Centre/Erste Premier - Garbage

On the whole consumer banking in the UK is fantastic, it's only when you've lived abroad and had to deal with foreign banks you learn how good it is.

Soldato
Smile. co .uk/ Co-Op, best service I could imagine, and helped me no end when I got scammed on PayPal.

Worst
Barcleys - I don't know where to begin with them, utterly terrible
Ulster Bank - just crap overall, utterly and totally useless during the period where all their transferrs etc went up the left.

Associate
My main account used to be Barclays but I got a Natwest account while their website was pretty rubbish. Now I have a couple of Natwest accounts and a Barlays. After uni I'm going to get rid of the Natwest student account and just stick with one of each.

Barclays' website is now much better now that you don't need that terrible membership number that I forgot every time. Both of their apps are very good.

OcUK Staff
I am with Natwest for the majority of my accounts - never had a single problem

Also have an account with Lloyds & Britannia Building Society and they are all good too :)

Bailey

Back
Top Bottom