All dogs to be chipped by 2016

Associate
shoot1st, please share your pet microchip conspiracy theory with me. I genuinely want to hear more on this subject.

e: In detail I mean

Last edited:
Caporegime
14 people dead in 7 years (not many of them being a baby either). When you think of the number of dogs in this country, it hardly seems a major issue and does point to most dog owners being responsible and/or most dogs not being dangerous in the first place.

That's just where the outcome is death, there are plenty of other maulings where people are injured, scarred and/or traumatised.

Soldato
OP
shoot1st, please share your pet microchip conspiracy theory with me. I genuinely want to here more on this subject.

e: In detail I mean

That's a loaded question if ever I saw one. I'll stick with the possibility of health issues, overall cost of this to the tax payer and agreeing with the Scottish government...

"The Scottish government has said that, while it recognised the benefits of microchipping, there was "no evidence compulsory microchipping would effectively tackle welfare issues"."

Soldato
Does an ID collar not do that already?

Don't be silly, a collar can fall off and/or be taken off!
Compulsory chipping is a great idea and one that should have been implemented many years ago!
Will help stop irresponsible cold hearted people just chucking dogs out when they realize it's a lot more responsibility then they first thought in their silly little heads :mad:

Soldato
OP
Don't be silly, a collar can fall off and/or be taken off!
Compulsory chipping is a great idea and one that should have been implemented many years ago!
Will help stop irresponsible cold hearted people just chucking dogs out when they realize it's a lot more responsibility then they first thought in their silly little heads :mad:

Yeah but who's going to take the collar off? Not the dog owner. If a collar falls off a dog then you're either using the collar incorrectly or do not have the right collar for the dog.

Seems to me like the weak link in this is the owner. Perhaps potential owners should be vetted more carefully.

Soldato
That's a loaded question if ever I saw one. I'll stick with the possibility of health issues, overall cost of this to the tax payer and agreeing with the Scottish government...

"The Scottish government has said that, while it recognised the benefits of microchipping, there was "no evidence compulsory microchipping would effectively tackle welfare issues"."
Equally no evidence to the contrary

Overall cost to the tax payer?? even though this is already being done for free by several animal charities.
I think strays cost the tax payer more

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
So in the last few years of my dogs life after untold years of good keeping I have to take him & get a tiny capsule injected into his skin, Great. :rolleyes: (Legit rolleyes :p)

Can't see this penalising anybody but decent owners as ***** who don't care now won't care then.
S'pose it just opens the way for them being able to exterminate as many strays as poss.

Soldato
Yeah but who's going to take the collar off? Not the dog owner. If a collar falls off a dog then you're either using the collar incorrectly or do not have the right collar for the dog.

Seems to me like the weak link in this is the owner. Perhaps potential owners should be vetted more carefully.

Nonsense, hundreds of owners take collars off and abandon poor dogs every year :mad: Plus like everything dog collars aren't perfect and occasionally break and fall off not to mention they can also get caught on stuff and pulled off!!!

Soldato
So in the last few years of my dogs life after untold years of good keeping I have to take him & get a tiny capsule injected into his skin, Great. :rolleyes: (Legit rolleyes :p)

Can't see this penalising anybody but decent owners as ***** who don't care now won't care then.
S'pose it just opens the way for them being able to exterminate as many strays as poss.

The bigger picture may be less strays.

And on the spot fines for non compliance

Neither of which I have any issues with

Soldato
Heard this on the news this morning, I don't have a dog but seemed logical enough.

The only thing I thought of though was when they said there was a dog that had been left at the rescue centre on New Year's Day and that if it had been chipped they could find its owner.

Well, if all dogs get chipped wont that discourage people from leaving them at suitable centres and instead dumping them elsewhere? Or worse? Or do they think it will just stop people trying to abandon dogs all together?

Soldato
Good idea but I also think the non-pet owning public need to be educated about chips as well.

When my cat went missing last year we luckily found him after a week thanks to Facebook but the girl of the house we went to told us he'd been walking round her close for 3 days, going in and out of people's houses looking for food. It was obvious he was lost and had just one resident of that street taken him to a vets we'd have been re-united a lot sooner because he was chipped.

Then there's my non-pet owning mate who thought the chips acted as GPS receivers and asked why we couldn't find him if he was 'chipped'.

Last edited:
Associate

You know some people steal dogs? I would suspect they would take a collar off before selling it on.

Soldato
OP
Nonsense, hundreds of owners take collars off and abandon poor dogs every year :mad: Plus like everything dog collars aren't perfect and occasionally break and fall off not to mention they can also get caught on stuff and pulled off!!!

You're definitely going to take the collar off your dog if you want to abandon it somewhere, obviously. But if you want to abandon a dog that is chipped does the chip stop you from doing so? Is it gauranteed to stop dogs being abandoned? I don't think it does.

I have had dogs all my life and have never had a collar snap, or a lead, or a collar come off. I never leave my dog anywhere that could see her get into any trouble, i.e. go missing or kidnapped or whatever. I don't see why I should be forced to get a chip implanted in my dog when it is not going to benefit me or the dog.

Soldato
Heard this on the news this morning, I don't have a dog but seemed logical enough.

The only thing I thought of though was when they said there was a dog that had been left at the rescue centre on New Year's Day and that if it had been chipped they could find its owner.

Well, if all dogs get chipped wont that discourage people from leaving them at suitable centres and instead dumping them elsewhere? Or worse? Or do they think it will just stop people trying to abandon dogs all together?

It will have the opposite effect tbh. People are less likely to just abandon dogs as it will have their name and address attached to it. They will struggle to explain in court why their dog that has been in a shelter for a week hasn't been reported missing ;)

Soldato
You're definitely going to take the collar off your dog if you want to abandon it somewhere, obviously. But if you want to abandon a dog that is chipped does the chip stop you from doing so? Is it gauranteed to stop dogs being abandoned? I don't think it does.

I have had dogs all my life and have never had a collar snap, or a lead, or a collar come off. I never leave my dog anywhere that could see her get into any trouble, i.e. go missing or kidnapped or whatever. I don't see why I should be forced to get a chip implanted in my dog when it is not going to benefit me or the dog.

How many dogs do you have experience of. Your current dog is 16yrs old. I dont know how old you are but I'm gonna guess only 2-3 more. Thats hardly enough for a solid study

Back
Top Bottom