The new BMW adaptive led headlights.

Caporegime
I wonder how it works in real life.

i.e. how quick does it react if you go round a bend and then sees a car, or how it works in twisty roads.

How it react to Bikes.

Will it mistaken a light source on the side of the road, in which case it flips on and off as you drive pass.

If it gets stuck/broken half way through you 100miles journey, can you manually dip the beam?

Great idea though.

Permabanned
Nice idea.. Being forced to look at LED taillights is bad enough
It is the ***** waiting at traffic lights with their indicators blinking away that annoy the most - turning right in the right hand lane sir? Why thank you for the 40 second warning of the bleeding obvious you useless sack of offal :mad:

Nice system, especially the widening of the tunnel rather than just turning one side off, on both sides too.

However this is going to dazzle anyone at a junction about to turn towards the car, until it has turned enough for the camera to see its headlights.
Of course many BMW drivers are oblivious to anyone waiting at junctions, so I can see why they ignored the issue :p

Lol at the car spacing, leaving space for 10 other BMW's to get ahead of them? Never!

Soldato
I don't really see the point of the 'tunnel', all it's going to do is project light down either side of the car you're following which is going to potentially distract the driver. There's no need for the full-beam to be on if there's a car in front, just turn it off.

Soldato
It is the ***** waiting at traffic lights with their indicators blinking away that annoy the most - turning right in the right hand lane sir? Why thank you for the 40 second warning of the bleeding obvious you useless sack of offal :mad:

Yeah this is really annoying, I know you're turning right as that's what you do in the right lane FFS!

Also people that sit there in traffic (at night in particular) with their foot on the brake and all three brake lights burning out my retinas!

Associate
Yeah this is really annoying, I know you're turning right as that's what you do in the right lane FFS!

Also people that sit there in traffic (at night in particular) with their foot on the brake and all three brake lights burning out my retinas!

I do that :p I don't think anyone should assume anything about anyone in any lane personally. I should also point out that I don't have retina burning LED lights though.

Permabanned
Pretty cool, but if I'm driving behind someone I don't really need them on. I would be interested to see how it reacts to busier conditions though. I trust if the camera control system develops a fault it could default to normal function. That would be a reliable failsafe.

Soldato
I hope its recognition stuff can 'see' bikes too.

...and pedestrians. Managed to properly fudge up my ankle walking straight off the curb while being blinded by someone with their HID main beams in our unlit village.

TBH the technology looks like an over engineered solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Same as auto dimming lights, I've managed fine for the last 12 years dipping the lights myself and I'm pretty sure I can use beams of light on hills, reflections off grass verges on corners etc. better than an automated system to ensure that people never get to see my high beams even for a split second in most cases.

It is the ***** waiting at traffic lights with their indicators blinking away that annoy the most - turning right in the right hand lane sir? Why thank you for the 40 second warning of the bleeding obvious you useless sack of offal

I guess I'm a "****" then as I use my indicators to show my intention of changing direction whether that is stipulated by the road markings or not. If a blinking 21W bulb causes you that much of an issue (you don't have to stare directly at it by the way) then you probably need your eyes tested for night driving.

Last edited:
Associate
Agree robs. I'll dip my lights before the car comes into sight. On country roads you'll often only see the car a second or so before it passes you. With my super human (two words) brain I dip using reflections etc. to judge just before they appear.

Back
Top Bottom