Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I always used to need water about halfway through a 10k. I sweat a lot when I'm running and there's nothing I can do about it. It's only when it's freezing cold out that I can run any distance and not need water. Additionally, if I run after work then the chances are I've spent the day dehydrating myself without realising, so even 5-6k will make me quite thirsty.

To answer the question: if you're running by yourself then take it in a Camelbak if you feel you'll need it. If it's a 10k race then they often provide water at the halfway point.

My training seems to be back on track. I did 13 miles on Saturday and 10k today. The 13 miler blistered me again, so I got my gait checked last night in case it was my trainers (which it wasn't) and I'm trying some new socks. Seems ok over 10k but it's only when I go over 10 miles that I blister. It might just be that my feet have softened a bit from not running much.

Associate
Cheers... It will be my first 10km race... hoping for 50min mark and don't want to get thirsty lol. I'll see if they have a refreshment station :)

Soldato
When I was running I found I didnt need to take anything (water etc) until I hit the 9-ish mile mark. I found the miles after this to be tough due to dehydration.

I miss running... I just dont have the time now :( (6 day working week leaving home at 0745 and getting back at 1930:()

Soldato
yeah I'd think most people should have plenty of hydration on-board so to speak up to 9-10 miles or so

key is to keep hydrated throughout the day before the run - not just before it- but all day - as if you play catch-up later on - you've had it

Soldato
I'm suffering from knee problem atm that comes on after about 3.5 - 4km and is then really painful. Think its an IT band problem so I'm resting / stretching / excersise biking for the week but not being able to run is doing my head in.

Associate
Cheers... It will be my first 10km race... hoping for 50min mark and don't want to get thirsty lol. I'll see if they have a refreshment station :)

I personally don't bother carrying water on any runs that are less than an hour. Be careful with the camelbak as that may actually make you sweat more.

Soldato
13.5 miles off-road (nearly all snow) trail run this morning - glorious, sun, blue skies and snow on all the fields still

just under 3 hours - a lot slower than my normal road half marathon place (we were reading directions too) - but no less shattering

hungry (even after lunch), shattered, and slightly aching legs.

sign of a good run I guess :)

Soldato
I hate being injured, knee is still no better. Tried a run yesterday and only managed 17mins before I couldn't go on. Not really sure what to do with it to be honest. I dread the thought of a lengthly lay off.

Permabanned
Ran 5 times this week and managed 10 miles today which is a damn site more than what I've done recently.

Aiming for 4-5 runs again this week and ideally 11 on Sunday. Running home from work is 8.5 miles so going to take a detour and sneak some extra in. :D

Permabanned
Managed to time this weeks Tuesday run a lot better than the last two weeks. Shame I havn't been using my garmin to time my runs recently as I've been judging by feel.

Run with the local running shop each Tuesday (4-5 mile route) and the last 3 weeks we've ran the same route (4.5ish miles). First 2 weeks I've started too fast and struggled towards the end and not kept a consistent pace and towards the end of the route I've been overtaken by two other runners at the same point having been ahead from the beginning otherwise.

This week I decided to hold back a little at the beginning and then proceed to build my speed up if I felt I had it in me. Low and behold I definitely had it, kicked up the pace a little as each mile passed and felt like I didn't put as much effort in as the previous weeks due to my much better start and stronger finish. The first of these two runners I passed within the first two miles and managed to finish ahead of as well by 30 seconds or so and the second I managed to finish at the same time although I did start slower.

Really reminds me of the rabbit and the turtle story from childhood. :)

Associate
If anyone likes the foam roller try the rumble roller it is like a torture device. I am 3 days in to my quad marathon event. Times of 4:32, 4:43 and 4:08 today. I am going to take it easy tomorrow as my foot is a bit bruised and I have a few blisters. I can also throw snowballs at the leaders when they lap us.

Permabanned
I've been ramping up the minimalist running since Christmas, I've done 2x 5.4km runs in my Luna's* this week. They're surprisingly nice/comfy to run in - but by god you look like a freak wearing them. I wear my Vibram Five Fingers to look normal!

Odd thing I've noticed, when I run in Lunas or VFFs my average heart rate is always about 10bpm lower on the my local 5.4km circuit (same distance and pace as in normal trainers). I don't know if it's me just being more efficient or just me being super careful about my form.

* https://www.lunasandals.com/

Soldato
16.3km in 1hr 25mins.

Took it pretty steadily, could do a half marathon distance but my hip and ankle were starting to feel uncomfortable. With the bath half coming up in a few weeks I don't fancy injuring myself.

Soldato
If anyone likes the foam roller try the rumble roller it is like a torture device. I am 3 days in to my quad marathon event. Times of 4:32, 4:43 and 4:08 today. I am going to take it easy tomorrow as my foot is a bit bruised and I have a few blisters. I can also throw snowballs at the leaders when they lap us.
Woah!!! Respect :) How did day 4 go?

Are you doing the Windermere 10 in 10 by any chance? A mate is in training for that and started the quad marathon, but had to pull out on the first day.

Soldato
3rd half marathon over the weekend in 1:39:27, nice to have some hills and awesome scenery. Could/should have gone quicker at the start but didn't know what to expect from the course and meant I finished at a decent pace. Hoping to break 1:35 in the next one in June :)

http://runkeeper.com/user/richpoole/activity/147803599?&tripIdBase36=2fzxzj (distance/time slightly out due to GPS and start/stop inaccuracies)

Permabanned
eapms9.jpg

Cheeky 10k run 57 mins.
Didnt notice any pain till i took my top off and my nipples nearly fell off with it.

Back
Top Bottom