*** The Official BlackBerry Z10 & Q10 Thread ***

Permabanned
I have managed to get the bbm to work using a new sim and a device switch from another blackberry.

The problem I have now is that the active sync is not syncing the calendar for the fee earner who phone it is. He has gone back to using his old phone because the email and calendar are not working 100%.

I think the biggest mistake RIM made was not allowing the z10 to work on BES 5, they realy messed up there big time and it would not have been that difficult to get it working.

Now the forums are full with people moaning about not being able to use bes or active sync because none of it works. You can't even sync with cable anymore, they removed that feature.

The only thing that works is cloud sync which is ridiculous.

edit: someone elsewhere asked the obvious, why don't you use bes 10. So I am going to install the trial, but so far no info on bes10 from blackberry i thought it was only available in march.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just be aware that at present, the Z10 won't bridge fully with the Playbook. It will get more features when the Playbook updates to BB10 as well.

If you get a playbook and use hotmail.. disable the 'push' email with hotmail, and set it to a manual interval of 15 mins or whatever, otherwise it causes battery drain (Bug).

The more I see of the Z10 the more I like it. New things are continually coming out about it, and I'm starting to actually really like it, although I was treading cautiously with my opinion.

Soldato
I have managed to get the bbm to work using a new sim and a device switch from another blackberry.

The problem I have now is that the active sync is not syncing the calendar for the fee earner who phone it is. He has gone back to using his old phone because the email and calendar are not working 100%.

I think the biggest mistake RIM made was not allowing the z10 to work on BES 5, they realy messed up there big time and it would not have been that difficult to get it working.

Now the forums are full with people moaning about not being able to use bes or active sync because none of it works. You can't even sync with cable anymore, they removed that feature.

The only thing that works is cloud sync which is ridiculous.

edit: someone elsewhere asked the obvious, why don't you use bes 10. So I am going to install the trial, but so far no info on bes10 from blackberry i thought it was only available in march.

Apparently Active Sync works well, it just takes someone with knowledge at the company to set it up properly, with the permissions. Crackberry is very handy with these details :)

Soldato
There are apparently "battery problems" that disappear after a few days of initial usage.

I don't believe this is anything to do with the battery "breaking in" over several charges, it's too severe for that. I reckon there is some heavy synchronising or indexes going on in the background that eventually sorts itself out. People are going from 6 hours life (bad!) to well over a day. (Some have just taken their phone back and got a replacement and that was fine (weirdly).

Although a good thing to turn off is the gestures whilst in standby. People have been reporting that whilst in their pockets the phone is thinking the screen is being touched or some such.

Might be worth using a sync setup for email rather than push as well, if you are concerned about limiting data usage and conserving battery.

I don't think it's necessary to turn off the other features (gps etc).

Associate
I have to say I have had no issues with the battery lasting a day with moderate to heavy usage. I have my work, gmail and yahoo mail all set to push. Plus Facebook, linkedin and twitter accounts active. I have set the brightness down to below half way though

Associate
Just received my Z10 and starting to have a play around on it.

One thing I didn't appreciate from the demo model in the shop is that although it looks smaller than the Nexus 4, if you stack one on top of the other there's barely any difference between the two.

Caporegime
LOL for the past week trying to get hold of a black Z10 sim free is proving just about impossible. Doesnt help that phones 4 u have ramped the price up of the black one to £550 whereas the white one is £480.

Could buy the white one but tbh im just not a fan of white phones and having seen one in real, it still hasnt changed my mind on getting a black one.

Seems like sim free wise, if you want one you pay through the nose, which im not willing to do. Most places including CPW are pushing them hard to buy on contract, again not an option as none of the contract deals ive looked at are remotely worth it.

Reading around, hopefully next week there will be more sim free stock. Spoke to one guy at phones 4 u today and he was saying that Blackberry have only sent them 1000 units whereas they were expecting 2000+ so seems like there is a stock shortage.

Oh well the wait goes on, if phones 4 u didnt mess me about last week then i would have had mine by now.

Soldato
What are Apps like to install now? - Just had to do a Twitter App update on my 9900, which was 2.5MB and it took about 4 minutes to install and then I had to reboot the phone for the installation to complete. (which took an additional 5 minutes)

Soldato
The Playbook runs on QNX as well, and I just download, install (automatic) and it's ready to go. No reboot necessary. I imagine it will be exactly the same for BB10 devices.

The weird bit about BB world (or whatever it's called now, and at least for the playbook) is that it can run REALLY quickly for some downloads and then stupendously slow for others. It's rather annoying sometimes, but not a major issue.

Associate
I've installed a couple of apps on the Z10 and haven't needed to reboot yet. I remember on OS6 it used to take an age to download but it feels quicker now.

Caporegime
What network are you on Yas? I don't know if O2's phones are locked but they seem to have it in stock for £480: https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/phones/blackberry/z10/

Any good?

Nope O2 phones are locked and at the moment, they cant be unlocked yet. Im on a tmo 12 mth rolling sim, paying £21 a mth for unlimited everything. So definitely not looking at getting stuck into another contract, in fact my other 2 lines im now looking at ending them on contracts and going rolling sim instead.

Like i said hopefully by next week there will be more sim free stock from what i have been reading so ill just wait till there is more stock.

Back
Top Bottom