Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
Either medical tape or a compression top will stop it. A proper running top will help but I found that by 15km I get rubbing even in the nicer running tops (2XU in my case).

Hurts like hell for a while, good effort to make them bleed, I've only ever got to the very sore stage.

Permabanned
Either medical tape or a compression top will stop it. A proper running top will help but I found that by 15km I get rubbing even in the nicer running tops (2XU in my case).

Hurts like hell for a while, good effort to make them bleed, I've only ever got to the very sore stage.

Yea bro medical tape is the only really fix for me.I used to get it really bad when i was in the army doing 8 mile > tabs.
Doesn't matter what i wear synthetic or not i sweat and rub that much its unavoidable.

Haha yea i didn't notice till i got in somehow. Was agony in shower though.

Tape is coming out next time.

Soldato
Did my first parkrun today. Mile End one for me and was really good, managed 23.58 which bodes well for the 10k I'm doing in four or five weeks time to get under 50 minutes.

Quite a hilly little course though!

Soldato
Good effort! I'd like to break 20mins for 5k but have been focusing solely on longer distances, aiming to break 1h35m for my next half marathon, long term I want to break 1:30 but not sure if that's going to be possible without dropping my strength training.

Soldato
I'm currently on 26.5 for a 5k, I hardly ever do a clean run tho, it's normally after swimming and cycling. Got myself some brooks running shoes from up and running, they've made a mahoosive difference, it's like running on air!

Soldato
Eh me, and I never have any problems with them. Forgot to tape nipples.
Would have been exactly the same in a synthetic top.
My comment was meant to be light hearted, honestly. Don't you find that cotton tops feel awful once they're saturated with sweat and start to cling to you? Anyway, I don't see how you can say you never have any problems with them, given the fact that you nearly lost your nipples that day ;)

Less than 7 weeks until the Croydon half marathon. I am going to have to train consistently in order to achieve my target of a sub 2hr time; my 5k time is around 27 minutes, which apparently equates to a 2h 4min half marathon. I ran 10.5 miles in 1h 45min in January, so I'm not too far off.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I was back on the distance work on Saturday as a bit of a tester. Looks like completely cutting out cycling has worked and my knees are much better now. No problems at all through that distance. So I have a 5 mile run to my local Parkrun, so that's about a 13.5 mile loop if I time it correctly. I had breakfast before I left, but I had a banana immediately after the Parkrun bit and found the final couple of miles home MUCH easier than without having a bit of food - noted.

Next week I'm adding another 3.5 miles on another loop, then it's a matter of creeping it up to 20 miles for the weekend about 3 weeks before my marathon.

I think I'm back on track!

Soldato
I wish I was, been a month now and I can't get beyond 2 miles before the pain starts. Back to the physio on Thursday but after that I think I might gave to goto GP to see about a scan or something.

Associate
Paris marathon looming ever closer, at the beginning of April. Started running again last week after a winter layoff. Legs feel heavy but experience tells me I'll be ok in a few weeks. Not expecting any pbs that early in the season though. I ran 3:15.02 in Dublin in October. So glad the evenings are getting lighter again.

Soldato
Been running to work and back here and there lately. Almost 5km with my rucksack (few kg's) and doing 22min runs. Ran a relaxed 10 miles last weekend in 1hr and 25mins, so I'm feeling pretty confident for a 1hr 45 half marathon.

I've got a 5mile series run on Thursday, aiming for a 20min 5km and sub 35min 5mile time.

Soldato
I'm crossing my fingers, managed a fully pain free 5k, first time since 17th January. Distance wise its low but its baby steps atm and ill take any positives going.

Soldato
I'm crossing my fingers, managed a fully pain free 5k, first time since 17th January. Distance wise its low but its baby steps atm and ill take any positives going.
Sounds like a big improvement over the pain you were getting after just 2km, though, so that's a positive sign. My (admittedly limited) experience suggests that you should just take it easy and don't rush anything. Pay attention to the signals your body gives you; will tell you if you're pushing too hard too soon.

Associate
Right guys, I keep getting a numb right foot (my strongest side) after 4 miles or so. My ordinary trainers it comes on quite fast, my new minimalist ones were fine the first run, and the next two my foot started going numb near the 4 mile mark again, even after purposely loosening the laces again.

Any clues? Is it caused by the shoe itself or running style/strike?

Soldato
mmm - not sure about that - sounds a bit odd - sorry can't help

I managed my first ever run of any distance (8km in this case) at under 7 min miles (averaged at 6.59 :) ) was very happy with that

Back
Top Bottom